1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How well can the IBIS on E-PM2 handle 40-150 f2.8?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Oct 23, 2014.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Thinking of buying this lens but worried that the IBIS doesn't work well for it. My alternative is 35-100 f2.8.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have tested it on an EPL5, which I don't plan to use this lens on regularly because of the weight. but the EPL5 IBIS (same as EPM2's) handled it just fine I think. Sure I suppose it's not comparable to 5 axis but better than none, no sign of shutter shock problem yet. but that's just me, I'm using this lens on a G5 that doesn't have any IS and the only blur I seemed to get is OOF blur due to the thin DOF

3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I suspect I'd be more worried about how well balanced the lens is on a small body like the EPM-2!

The 35-100 seems a better fit somehow (and this despite the fact that I've ordered a 40-150).

4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    A big challenge with the older IBIS like on EPM2 is that the stabilization is active only during exposure. While framing the shot, you don't get any stabilization -- and at 150mm it's quite shaky.

I've shot the cheap 40-150 on my EPM2 and it does the job, but definitely not ideal. I imagine the weight of the f/2.8 lens would make it even more challenging to frame shots.

5. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Will there be issues of chromatic aberration and lens distortion using 35-100 f2.8 on e-pm2 since Olympus doesn't correct such imperfection automatically in the body?

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's been a long time, but the OIS on the 45-200 was noticeably better than the IS in my E-PM1. Don't know if that helps... you'll probably get two stops out of it, if I had to guess. That's a 1/80 shutter at the long end, not too bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.