1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How weatherproof is the OM-D E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jen726, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Hi all,

Wanted to hear your experiences with the OM-D's weatherproof claim. Would you feel comfortable getting it wet? Ie, not in the water, but at Niagara or Iguazu or Victoria Falls where the mist definitely sprays up!

Also, other than the 12-50mm lens, are any of the other lenses weatherproof?

Thanks,
    Jen

2. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I've seen blogs where it has been splashed with a cup of water, and steadily rained on with no detriment to it's performance.
    I would be a little more conservative, but it seems that it would certainly be fine in a moist or humid environment.

3. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

I'm heading up to Niagara tomorrow. I'll let you know ;)

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The only other native lens is the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8. The Olympus 60mm Macro and the Panasonic 35-100 will also be weather-sealed. Only others announced beyond that are the Schneider lenses which are going to be very pricey ~$1500.

5. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Thanks! Would love to know how "ginger" I need to be with it around waterfalls!

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Saltwater isn't getting any less corrosive. If it has a run-in with seawater, make sure and rinse the camera thoroughly afterwards to get the salt out. That stuff will eat the seals otherwise.

7. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I am confident of E-M5's weatherproof (with Oly 12-50mm lens of course). Posted this pic before, taken recently while on a cruise ship at Milford Sound, New Zealand. We got close to a waterfall and there was lots of water spraying onto us as you can see from the shot. No problemo for E-M5.

7919560186_18313421d5_c.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Well, Olympus seem pretty confident in the weather sealing of the E-M5 + 12-50mm combo:

￾DC Watch

No word on whether they actually turned on the camera and took pictures afterward, so definitely a Don't Try This At Home type deal :biggrin:

This was from a recent Olympus event for the new PENs and 17mm f/1.8 among other things. Full article for reference:

Full DC Watch article

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Caveat, however: whatever degree of weather-resistance the OM-D may have is very dependent on having all the external seals and covers in place. Some users have lost, for example, the rubber cover for the grip connectors in the base, and had water-related failures. The hot shoe cover is another candidate for easy loss that can cause compromised weather-resistance.

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The mmf3 opens up a lot of four thirds weather sealed lenses.

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The hotshoe cover is not a big a concern as the accessory port cover just below the shoe. Wished Olympus came up with a much better design for that.

Olympus' weather sealing is legendary. I once saw an Oly rep dunk an E-3 with 12-60mm into an aquarium. And years ago when the E-1 first came out I knew an Oly rep who put the camera into the shower for 20 minutes, and then shoot a F1 race with it.

12. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    My weather sealing experience with the OMD was a bit of a test. I also had a 9-18mm lens on aswell. Was on my dads boat and we went out in really choppy weather and when slowing down briefly a big wave crashed into the bow of the boat and literaly it was like having a bucket of water chucked over you, my OMD was absolutely soaked. Initial thought was, ahhh crap thats not really the kind of water resistance test I would be happy with, but it was absolutely fine, quickly gave it a wipe to get rid of the worst, thoroughly checked it over and carried on snapping, no problems at all. :biggrin:

13. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    So the 9-18mm lens is weatherproof as well?

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    IT happened to me two weeks ago, on a ferry boat with my OMD and P14 in front. a wave crashed and left us (me and the camera) soaking wet. salty water wet. some consider salt water cryptonite for any technological device on earth. I honestly said....****...thats it....gone. wipe it out let it dry for a bit. BUT the camera is perfect, not a glitch not a problem at all so far its been more than two weeks since that happened. and im still happy snapping. NOW THATS gold to me!.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When an Olympus weatherproof camera gets wet, you need to wash it off with fresh water after. A garden hose or shower will work.

The only thing the weatherproofing can't handle is submersion for long periods. However, a quick dunk isn't going to hurt an E-1, E-3, E-5, or E-M5, as long as you pull it out right away. It'll mess the camera up if you leave it submerged long enough. That gives significant peace of mind, if you ask me. Rain, mist, etc. you have no fear of whatsoever. I've shot my E-System DSLRs in steady rain for as long as I could stand. Your rain gear will soak through long before your camera will. Snow and ice have never been a problem in my experience, either.

Of course I don't have much experience with the E-M5's weather sealing in particular, but it's supposed to be on the same level as the E-5, which is on the same level as the E-3, which is on the same level as the E-1. You get the idea. ;) Pentax is the only other company I know of which has a fully weather sealed system on par with Olympus (emphasis on system because there are 100% waterproof cameras which are not system cameras).

16. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Generally... nope its not, but in this instance, it was definately waterrpoof.:biggrin: Really suprised me, I spent a while given both the camera and lens a delicate wash and clean when I got back, and this was 2 months ago. Not one issue has cropped up since.

17. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    Whatever you decide to do, make sure your camera insurance is up to date first. Then, let us know how it goes.

18. dshipp

dshipp Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Glad to hear it. I had the same thing happen to my E-PL2 and the shutter button died due to the salt water. The 9-18mm I had on seems to be fine, despite the lack of weather sealing. I now have an OM-D so your experience is reassuring. Thanks.

19. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    This was me, btw. I went canoeing in heavy rain this summer, and had to send in the camera for repairs afterwards due to water intrusion. I was told that the rubber seal for the battery grip connection wasn't secure, and that was the path the water took. I hadn't touched the seal, not having the grip, so it must have come lose on it's own. I was informed that the camera simply isn't water resistant if that seal, or the one for the hot-shoe accessory port, isn't secure.

So, if you are going to be in a wet environment, double check those covers first.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    And in the case of that seal, maybe put a piece of duct or gaffer's tape over it to secure it?