How weatherproof comparison help?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pixelvandal, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    Hey guys, im in the midst of downsizing my canon gear. i have a 7d with a bunch of big, heavy lenses that i use for mainly landscape and nature photography.

as i do a lot of hiking, and get caught in HEAVUY rain a lot, i find myself missing shots id get with a fully weather sealed camera as i worry about it.

so im torn between buying a om-d and a pentax k-5ii.
    id probably only buy the initial kit and a macro lens, as both companys offer weather sealed versions.
    my question to you is.... how tough is the om-d? the small size appeals to me. but the magnesium build of the k-5 just feels so solid, whilst still being small for a dslr :)

ive seen videos of the k5 shooting in the rain, being covered in dust and mud and being washed off. being dropped. ive even seen someone put it underwater in a pool (not that its recommended) and take photos and survive!

i guess im concerned as to weather the olympus is just as tough? being smaller it 'feels' flimsier. though its probably a misconception of mine.
    the bonus is the kit lens is internal focus and zoom, so i could use that in the rain, where the k5 18-135 they recommend you dont zoom so you dont suck water into it.

has anyone dropped an om-d in the mud? and washed it off? haha.

how much have YOU tested the limits of this feature?

im sitting on the fence! keep in mind, im no pro, i strictly do it because i love photography and learning new things. so im not concerned about what lenses are available, ill probably only invest in 4 or 5. macro. zoom. tele. and primes.

thanks for any feedback :)

paul

2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    A wave spalshed over my OM-D with 12-50mm in october in Maine. As you all know, salted water and camera / electronic aren't good friends. So I washed it under the thing where you can wash your feet, All is still working good. :)
    P.S.: Before doing that, I saw people filming waterfall with the OM-D so I was pretty sure to be safe ;)

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Although not an EM5, my regular E5 handles flawlessly in wet or cold weather...so I wouldn't have any concerns with olympus's weather sealing technology...however there are only a few native m4/3 weather sealed lenses (12-50, 60, 12-35, 35-100). Which is one reason why I purchased a mmf-3, so that I could use my 7-14, 8, 12-60, 50 and 50-200 the then next generation omd is released (that' when I'll sell my e-5).

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've taken my OM-D up four mountains with a few drops and its been just fine. As for rain, well, since I live in Vancouver, if I didn't take it out in the rain, I'd only be able to enjoy photography between June and September. I haven't had a problem yet (received my OM-D in May).

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2678WIF15k]Olympus OMD VS Pepsi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHyn53AeOk"]What happens you mix a waterfall and an OM-D? - YouTube[/ame]

I think there's another clip of OMD vs Coffee somewhere..

• Like Like x 2
  6. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    The Em-5 is the most solid feeling camera I have owned. It is small, but it feels like it was carved from a single piece of metal. I haven't had any pro bodies, but to me, it feels more solid than my D600. I have also had a nex-7, various Canon bodies, and a x100, and the omd feels the best, especially with the grip.