How weatherproof comparison help?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pixelvandal, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pav
    Hey guys, im in the midst of downsizing my canon gear. i have a 7d with a bunch of big, heavy lenses that i use for mainly landscape and nature photography.

as i do a lot of hiking, and get caught in HEAVUY rain a lot, i find myself missing shots id get with a fully weather sealed camera as i worry about it.

so im torn between buying a om-d and a pentax k-5ii.
    id probably only buy the initial kit and a macro lens, as both companys offer weather sealed versions.
    my question to you is.... how tough is the om-d? the small size appeals to me. but the magnesium build of the k-5 just feels so solid, whilst still being small for a dslr :) 

ive seen videos of the k5 shooting in the rain, being covered in dust and mud and being washed off. being dropped. ive even seen someone put it underwater in a pool (not that its recommended) and take photos and survive!

i guess im concerned as to weather the olympus is just as tough? being smaller it 'feels' flimsier. though its probably a misconception of mine.
    the bonus is the kit lens is internal focus and zoom, so i could use that in the rain, where the k5 18-135 they recommend you dont zoom so you dont suck water into it.

has anyone dropped an om-d in the mud? and washed it off? haha.

how much have YOU tested the limits of this feature?

im sitting on the fence! keep in mind, im no pro, i strictly do it because i love photography and learning new things. so im not concerned about what lenses are available, ill probably only invest in 4 or 5. macro. zoom. tele. and primes.

thanks for any feedback :) 

paul

2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    A wave spalshed over my OM-D with 12-50mm in october in Maine. As you all know, salted water and camera / electronic aren't good friends. So I washed it under the thing where you can wash your feet, All is still working good. :) 
    P.S.: Before doing that, I saw people filming waterfall with the OM-D so I was pretty sure to be safe ;) 

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Although not an EM5, my regular E5 handles flawlessly in wet or cold weather...so I wouldn't have any concerns with olympus's weather sealing technology...however there are only a few native m4/3 weather sealed lenses (12-50, 60, 12-35, 35-100). Which is one reason why I purchased a mmf-3, so that I could use my 7-14, 8, 12-60, 50 and 50-200 the then next generation omd is released (that' when I'll sell my e-5).

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've taken my OM-D up four mountains with a few drops and its been just fine. As for rain, well, since I live in Vancouver, if I didn't take it out in the rain, I'd only be able to enjoy photography between June and September. I haven't had a problem yet (received my OM-D in May).

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2678WIF15k]Olympus OMD VS Pepsi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHyn53AeOk"]What happens you mix a waterfall and an OM-D? - YouTube[/ame]

I think there's another clip of OMD vs Coffee somewhere..

• Like Like x 2
  6. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    The Em-5 is the most solid feeling camera I have owned. It is small, but it feels like it was carved from a single piece of metal. I haven't had any pro bodies, but to me, it feels more solid than my D600. I have also had a nex-7, various Canon bodies, and a x100, and the omd feels the best, especially with the grip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.