How weather-sealed is the G85/80?

WT21

Super Moderator
awwwwww "you make me laugh sad clown"

Sheldon Copper in season 7, episode 2 of The Big Bang Theory

I am also guessing based on your replies that you didn't comprehend what I said in the very beginning "To save some time I will just copy and past my reply to anther thread about this topic...…………………………" Which implies that this statement which seems to have you all up in arms "Those of us who trust the sealing and use the gear in inclement weather will never convince those like the thread starter." was directed at the thread starter of the thread from which (if you look back at my first quote in this paragraph) just copied and pasted here to save time. I do apologize for the grammar mistakes, was in a hurry and wasn't really paying attention to what my fingers typed.

have a great day,

Phocal
<shrug>

WT21

Super Moderator
@WT21 , it seems that you're unsatisfied with the responses you've received thus far.

At this point, rather than continuing a useless thread that clearly isn't delivering the answers you're looking for, you're likely better off simply not using the camera in the rain at all. That way you never risk the camera, and you put your mind at ease.

Otherwise, this thread will deteriorate in to seemingly every other thread around here recently, going way OT and turning in to a useless back-and-forth endeavor.
Not true at all Ian. There are a number of useful answers (#s 2, 3, 4, 11 and 12 were directly on-topic), and I marked them as "informative" etc. Take a look. Phocal likes to hear himself talk, and I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but sometimes can't help myself ;)

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looking at the camera body, the battery compartment and flash cover have rubber gaskets, but the sd card door is plastic to plastic and there's even a slight gap. There is a plastic gutter inside, but I doubt very much it would hold up to submersion or even a steady flow, and you see can directly into the camera internals through the SD card slot. The 12-60 has a tiny o ring around the outside of the bayonet. My instinct is that it's what Panasonic say, splash proof. Like others have said, I'd risk it in light drizzle or mist, but I wouldn't use it in anything heavier. I've used my RX100 in light drizzle too, and that has no WR at all. No problems yet but of course, one day I may be unlucky (but that gives me a valid reason to upgrade :wink: )

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
^ I'm not sure how much faith I can put in less than 10 seconds of water exposure.
That's an official Panasonic video. It doesn't just claim splash resistance, it says the camera is weather sealed.

Last edited:

WT21

Super Moderator
Thanks for responses here. I went to my kids cross country meet in the rain and got some nice shots

On a side note, the g85 is sooooo much better to use than the gx85 for running meets. The EVF is a world of difference - I could see both my kids in the pack through the EVF. With the gx85 I was mostly guessing (I wear glasses when I shoot, just to be clear. ymmv)

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's an official Panasonic video. It doesn't just claim splash resistance, it says the camera is weather sealed.
Yep, and if your camera fails in the rain, that is worth exactly how much? It really doesn't matter weather they call it splash proof or weather sealed, as long as they don't call it waterproof. You either think it's good enough and subject it to harsher treatment than other cameras or not, and then it either fails or it doesn't and unless we get a few hardcore Panasonic users who use their G85 while storm chasing or something similar, we just don't have the data and no speculation in the world is going to solve that problem. Same as with the thread on Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies or vice versa.

Yep, and if your camera fails in the rain, that is worth exactly how much? It really doesn't matter weather they call it splash proof or weather sealed, as long as they don't call it waterproof. You either think it's good enough and subject it to harsher treatment than other cameras or not, and then it either fails or it doesn't and unless we get a few hardcore Panasonic users who use their G85 while storm chasing or something similar, we just don't have the data and no speculation in the world is going to solve that problem. Same as with the thread on Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies or vice versa.
All this flip flopping and doubt in your comment, it's as if you have absolutely no trust in the gear and want it to fail. Sad!
If it wasn't rated to hold up to rain, doesn't matter how hard or light, then what's the point?
Maybe you still put bags over your weather sealed gear is what it sounds like

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
All this flip flopping and doubt in your comment, it's as if you have absolutely no trust in the gear and want it to fail. Sad!
If it wasn't rated to hold up to rain, doesn't matter how hard or light, then what's the point?
Maybe you still put bags over your weather sealed gear is what it sounds like
You misunderstood me. You either trust the manufacturer or you don’t. There is no certainty. This is also the point of @Phocal‘s post.
Personally I believe there is no point in weather sealing if you don’t trust it anyway, so whether it is light rain or a severe shower, I will take out my camera. I hate camera condoms.

But, I’ve not subjected my GX8 to enough adverse weather to confirm that it will hold in the most severe circumstances. This seems to be the case with most people here.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I've used my G85 in wet conditions, but not to the extent I've used my Olympus gear (E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark I, and before that E-5/E-3/E-1). I've even gotten splashed twice on whale watches, and the camera itself has survived. Usually I use the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 mark II or Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 pro lenses.

My wife and I went to Niagara Falls Ontario in August, and we went on the night time Hornblower cruise that takes you to the falls, and then it parks for 10 minutes to see the nightly fireworks. I used the G85 on a tripod with the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 pro lens and recorded the 10 minute video. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off automatic focus, and parts of the video were unfocused. But the camera did survive.

Unfortunately on the second whale watch in Massachusetts, I was using the used Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 mark II I had just picked up (the E-m1 mark I has the 14-150mm mark II lens). When I got to the car, I used the distilled water I brought with me to clean off the camera and lenses. The E-m1 mark I was fine. The 14-150mm mark II lens was fine. The G85 body was fine. The 100-300mm mark II lens stopped working. Eventually I gave it a sharp rap, and it started working again. I suspect a tiny grain of salt got into the gear, and giving it the rap moved the salt, and allowed it to work again. My take away is I trust the G85 in wet conditions, but I'm not so sure about Panasonic lenses.

Note salt water can be deadly to cameras, and I don't recommend taking it into salt environments actively, but splashes will occasionally happen. If either Olympus or Panasonic would refuse to service a camera after it got splashed, I would understand.

Over at dpreview, there is a discussion that pops up every so often, that the rubber circle of protection that the Panasonic splash proof lenses have and that the Olympus lenses is slightly different. So there are some that feel that you shouldn't mix the streams (whoops lenses/cameras).

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've used my G85 in wet conditions, but not to the extent I've used my Olympus gear (E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark I, and before that E-5/E-3/E-1). I've even gotten splashed twice on whale watches, and the camera itself has survived. Usually I use the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 mark II or Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 pro lenses.

My wife and I went to Niagara Falls Ontario in August, and we went on the night time Hornblower cruise that takes you to the falls, and then it parks for 10 minutes to see the nightly fireworks. I used the G85 on a tripod with the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 pro lens and recorded the 10 minute video. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off automatic focus, and parts of the video were unfocused. But the camera did survive.

Unfortunately on the second whale watch in Massachusetts, I was using the used Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 mark II I had just picked up (the E-m1 mark I has the 14-150mm mark II lens). When I got to the car, I used the distilled water I brought with me to clean off the camera and lenses. The E-m1 mark I was fine. The 14-150mm mark II lens was fine. The G85 body was fine. The 100-300mm mark II lens stopped working. Eventually I gave it a sharp rap, and it started working again. I suspect a tiny grain of salt got into the gear, and giving it the rap moved the salt, and allowed it to work again. My take away is I trust the G85 in wet conditions, but I'm not so sure about Panasonic lenses.

Note salt water can be deadly to cameras, and I don't recommend taking it into salt environments actively, but splashes will occasionally happen. If either Olympus or Panasonic would refuse to service a camera after it got splashed, I would understand.

Over at dpreview, there is a discussion that pops up every so often, that the rubber circle of protection that the Panasonic splash proof lenses have and that the Olympus lenses is slightly different. So there are some that feel that you shouldn't mix the streams (whoops lenses/cameras).
This is what this thread needed. Thank you!

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Terms like splash proof or weather sealed are vague and some Pentax owners have been burned by that.
IP ratings are a hierarchy of performance levels.
Oly owners say the EM1 is good for IP1 according to the manual. That means the camera is vertical under drops falling straight down.
Another dimension is long term durability. A single dousing is one thing, ingress effects over time another.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WT21

Super Moderator
Terms like splash proof or weather sealed are vague and some Pentax owners have been burned by that.
IP ratings are a hierarchy of performance levels.
Oly owners say the EM1 is good for IP1 according to the manual. That means the camera is vertical under drops falling straight down.
Another dimension is long term durability. A single dousing is one thing, ingress effects over time another.
View attachment 685306
Too small for me to read, so here's the wikipedia page

IP Code - Wikipedia

Slade

New to Mu-43
I have used my Panasonic G85 several times in moderate rain, with the Panasonic Leica 50-200 f2.8-4 and have had no issues with it. However, I recently travelled to Singapore and was using the Olympus 12-100 on my G85 and expected that this combination would be weather sealed as both the body and the lens are 'weather sealed'.

I notice however that I have many small water or condensation marks on the inside of the lens on the front element. For the first day or two I didn't try to wipe these marks away believing at this stage they were on the outside, as the lens would often fog up when removing my camera from my bag due to the humidity. Generally I just waited till the temperature equalised and the fogging self cleared. One day whilst dodging rain, (rain is excellent btw allows you to take photos of the landmarks without other tourists in the way). I was caught in a moderate downpour and the camera exposed to a reasonable amount of water, some droplets large enough on the front element to affect the image. When I got back the hotel I promptly dried off the camera and grabbed a lens cloth. This is when I discovered that the water marks I'd seen on previous days were inside the front element!

I have read the thread related to weather sealing and the measurements of the difference in size of the mounts between Olympus and Panasonic, quite disappointing to read about really given the lenses are interchangeable. Would I be correct in thinking that, the seal between the lens and the camera mount is designed to provide protection to the camera, and that the 12-100 lens would have extra seals that would stop water entering the lens via the rear element. If that is the case, I would be satisfied that the 12-100 on my G85 would not have caused these water marks and perhaps it is just the change in air density?

Is there anyway that I can remove these marks from inside the front element? It is only a new lens I have had it for a few months, is this something that would be covered by warranty?

Thanks for your input.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I have used my Panasonic G85 several times in moderate rain, with the Panasonic Leica 50-200 f2.8-4 and have had no issues with it. However, I recently travelled to Singapore and was using the Olympus 12-100 on my G85 and expected that this combination would be weather sealed as both the body and the lens are 'weather sealed'.

I notice however that I have many small water or condensation marks on the inside of the lens on the front element. For the first day or two I didn't try to wipe these marks away believing at this stage they were on the outside, as the lens would often fog up when removing my camera from my bag due to the humidity. Generally I just waited till the temperature equalised and the fogging self cleared. One day whilst dodging rain, (rain is excellent btw allows you to take photos of the landmarks without other tourists in the way). I was caught in a moderate downpour and the camera exposed to a reasonable amount of water, some droplets large enough on the front element to affect the image. When I got back the hotel I promptly dried off the camera and grabbed a lens cloth. This is when I discovered that the water marks I'd seen on previous days were inside the front element!

I have read the thread related to weather sealing and the measurements of the difference in size of the mounts between Olympus and Panasonic, quite disappointing to read about really given the lenses are interchangeable. Would I be correct in thinking that, the seal between the lens and the camera mount is designed to provide protection to the camera, and that the 12-100 lens would have extra seals that would stop water entering the lens via the rear element. If that is the case, I would be satisfied that the 12-100 on my G85 would not have caused these water marks and perhaps it is just the change in air density?

Is there anyway that I can remove these marks from inside the front element? It is only a new lens I have had it for a few months, is this something that would be covered by warranty?

Thanks for your input.
I'd think this would be a warranty issue- contact Panasonic about that. I'd suspect disassembly of the lens would be required.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom