1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How weather-sealed is the G85/80?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 11, 2018.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I got a new G85 with the 12-60 kit lens this weekend. Very stoked to play with it, so therefore the weather turned rainy and grey :( 

I've never had a weather-sealed camera before, so I am not really fluent with how this works.

For those with the G85 and the 12-60 kit, what conditions have you used this combination? I don't want to destroy my new toy, but I would like to get out and shoot. Any personal experiences, good and bad, greatly appreciated.

2. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I have used mine in a light drizzle, but I wouldn't risk using it in a downpour. And when you do get back indoors don't leave the lens locked away in the camera bag. It's best to leave it out so that any condensation can evaporate.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

As far as I know Panasonic has never used the term "weather sealed". "Splash Proof" is effectively saying it is to some extent water resistant, when a similarly rated lens is used with it.
    In fact, in the Panasonic manuals it states:
    "Splash Proof is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this camera offers
    against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash Proof does not
    guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with
    water."

Both Panasonic and Olympus have ~an IPX 2 rating which is no where near "weather sealed. What's interesting is that I've reached out to Olympus and asked them how they can claim "weather sealed" with only an IPX2 rating - 4 requests - no responses! I suspect the camera is more water resistant than they claim, but I would not use any of them in the pouring rain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2017
    I used mine on a rainy day and once done..completely dried it off and no issues. The key is drying it off...and not taking it out in a torrential downpour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Well, no one really publicly tests these things, because you need to test until you reach failure. Manufacturers probably test it, but keep results to themselves, so that they don't open themselves up to claims. Also, they probably only test their own equipement. And everyone else would basically have to do it at the expensive of the body. I can only remember seeing one test comparing four cameras. (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony). But they didn't test until failure, but rather just did one or two tests and checked if any water had entered, which apart from Sony there was none. There were also some Olympus cameras in showers as well as @Phocal@Phocal on here who has mentioned on that his Olympus Em1 has survived fairly drastic treatment in swamps.

I've never seen anyone check Panasonic Weather Sealing. We really don't know whether it's Olympus level or Sony level. Heck, Sony could have upped their game since then, and we wouldn't know about it. There have been multiple speculations on matching Olympus or Panasonic lenses, but none have left the theory stage.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion, that until I break my camera from Water Intrusion in heavy rain, I will expect it to hold up and live with the consequences. But obviously, you will have to decide on your own course of action.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    IP testing is not done by manufacturers, but by an accredited independent testhouse according to a set of defined standards that can be repeated by any other testhouse anywhere else in the world.

7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

You are spot on - the testing is done by a third party company. Olympus had published the IPX 2 spec. Such testing is standardized, so anyone who states it, is certifying that the testing is done in accordance with the standardized procedure. My point is, IPX2 is far from "weather sealed" or any inference to being water proof. I'm not directly suggesting the manufacturer is intentionally misrepresenting the product. When this topic is discussed in forums such as this one, terms like "weather sealed", "water proof" and so on are freely interchanged and take on a reputation of their own. It's important to note that from the info that is published, they aren't what many people assume them to be.

8. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

9. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
  10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I think that in many cases, manufacturers only officially test on what they think is easily achievable. It's quite clear that for example Olympus cameras often survive more than IPX2. This is the real unknown for all of us. We can be sure about the official word (ipx2), which is basically nothing, but we don't know where the most likely point of failure will be.

11. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I personally prefer to not take any chances and carry a ziplock bag (with a hole cut for the front of the lens) in my camera bag to cover it in case I encounter some rain.

12. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    I've used mine with the 40-150 pro in medium rain and no issues whatsoever.
    On another note, I spilled milk on an GX1 with 14-42 PZ lens and no damage to that either and that's obviously not a splash proof combo and it worked fine.

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    To save some time I will just copy and past my reply to anther thread about this topic...…………………………

These threads always make me giggle :026::026::026::026::026::026::026::026:

Those of us who trust the sealing and use the gear in inclement weather will never convince those like the thread starter.

As @PakkyT@PakkyT said, I send my lenses in about every 2 years to get serviced and have the seals replaced. My 150/2 is about to go in, will probably wait until spring since now that I have the 300/4 the 150/2 is pretty much my gator lens and the best time to photograph gators is winter and early spring. But my first EM1 is 3 years old now and I have never sent it in for service and I probably wont. Since bodies tend to get replaced about every 3 years I count on the seals lasting the entire time I use the camera. Lenses I keep for years and years and abuse them for all those years, so I send them in every 2 years to get service.

You are not going to see the camera manufactures give an IPX rating, that would open them up to more warranty claims than they probably already get for water damage. They don't warranty water damage because there is no way to prove a seal failure happened within some specified parameter or outside the limits it was tested for. Even companies that make dive housings will not warranty the gear you put inside of it. Any weather sealed or water proof item you buy is pretty much not going to be covered by water damage because they can't determine if it failed within or outside of the tested and listed parameters.

That said.....................

I trust the weather sealing of Olympus and personally feel them and Pentax have the best sealing in the industry. It's one of the reasons I switched to Olympus, I lost 2 1D's from water intrusion in a 3 year period. In the three yeas I have shot Olympus I have seriously abused my EM1's and lenses and they are still running strong. What I have I subjected them to?

3 years of shooting from a kayak where they spend the day in conditions very similar to this. I also shoot at the coast, so the gear will spend the day in the kayak wet with salt water. When I get back to the Jeep I have water specifically to rinse the salt off right when I get back.

38606732104_91bb8daaa3_k.

Ascend H12 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

27493678059_2882034371_k.

EM1 w/ 300mm f4.0 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I love shooting in the rain and will purposely plan trips because it will be raining. Here are two videos I shot to show the kind of rain I trust my Olympus gear in. Both of these videos are from the same day.

28385180633_b725603d95_z. GBH by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

28716066290_709ca4ac53_z. Rainy Day of Shooting by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

This next video was taken with my phone from under the cover of the bathrooms at the park, but I had been walking in this with the camera out for a good 45 minutes getting back to my Jeep.

24399326631_2fc1bdb485_z. Rain Storm on 19 January 2016 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I also subject my gear to a lot of situations where things can and have gone badly.

I was waiting for baby gators to get close so I could photograph them with the fisheye lens, operating camera via Olympus phone app.
    29353791902_25a7f4d827_k.

EM1 w/ Bower 7.5mm Fisheye by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

The blue arrow marks the frog I was shooting and yes...........I was laying in the water while photographing the frog.
    28524462934_7626ba408c_k.

EM1 w/ ZD 50-200 SWD by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Because I take chances and I don't use straps I drop my gear a lot. Sometimes it lands in the soft mud and I have to rinse it off with water from my water bladder.

But...........................

Sometimes it lands in water. I have had my camera/lens sink to about 2 feet in the water for as long as it took me to fish it out and have survived the ordeal. My gear is wet almost every time I go out with it, guess that is what happens when your favorite place to shoot is the swamp.

So.....................

Yes, I trust the weather sealing. I have to, or I would have to change everything about how I shoot and that is not going to happen. I get a lot of the shots I get because I trust the sealing and use the gear in tough conditions.

Yes, I have tried those stupid camera condoms and all they do is get in the way and catch/snag/rip on every little twig and branch as you crawl towards your subject. No thanks...........I leave them to those shooting Sony and Canon and Nikon and Panasonic.

on a side note...................I love the look I get when at a place like Brazos Bend State Park and I walk by the Canon/Nikon/Sony shooters all trying to protect their gear from the rain.

All of the above was a cut and paste from a previous thread...……….

I have no idea or opinion on Panasonic weather sealing, have never used their gear. As I have stated so many times before. Either you trust it or you don't and those of us that do will never convince those that don't so I don't even try anymore.
    I disagree. I think in every conversation I have had on here people have always understood the difference and never assumed weather sealed meant it could go under water as water proof implies.

14. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    overall tl;dr

But I did catch "I have no idea or opinion on Panasonic weather sealing" -- So, how exactly does this answer my original question on how weather sealed the G85 is?

And why do you assume "Those of us who trust the sealing and use the gear in inclement weather will never convince those like the thread starter."?? That's a pretty big assumption.

15. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    Wow that's a long comment!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    My reply was about weather sealing in general but I will mention my one experience with Panasonic weather sealing. I had an mp3 player from Panasonic that I bought specifically because it was water proof to like 10 feet. I got it because I lived in Seattle at the time and wanted something that I could use for running in the rain. It lasted 2 runs in the rain before it died from water intrusion. So I personally would not trust Panasonic weather sealing.

Not an assumption...………………..my conclusion is based on a large number of forum conversations on this topic.

17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    and so?

18. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    To sum:
    Q: For those with the G85 and the 12-60 kit, what conditions have you used this combination?

A1: Those of us who trust the sealing and use the gear in inclement weather will never convince those like the thread starter... I have no idea or opinion on Panasonic weather sealing, have never used their gear. As I have stated so many times before. Either you trust it or you don't and those of us that do will never convince those that don't so I don't even try anymore.

A2: I had an mp3 player from Panasonic that I bought specifically because it was water proof to like 10 feet. I got it because I lived in Seattle at the time and wanted something that I could use for running in the rain. It lasted 2 runs in the rain before it died from water intrusion.​

• Sad Sad x 1
  19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    awwwwww "you make me laugh sad clown"

Sheldon Copper in season 7, episode 2 of The Big Bang Theory

I am also guessing based on your replies that you didn't comprehend what I said in the very beginning "To save some time I will just copy and past my reply to anther thread about this topic...…………………………" Which implies that this statement which seems to have you all up in arms "Those of us who trust the sealing and use the gear in inclement weather will never convince those like the thread starter." was directed at the thread starter of the thread from which (if you look back at my first quote in this paragraph) just copied and pasted here to save time. I do apologize for the grammar mistakes, was in a hurry and wasn't really paying attention to what my fingers typed.

have a great day,

Phocal

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @WT21@WT21 , it seems that you're unsatisfied with the responses you've received thus far.

At this point, rather than continuing a useless thread that clearly isn't delivering the answers you're looking for, you're likely better off simply not using the camera in the rain at all. That way you never risk the camera, and you put your mind at ease.

Otherwise, this thread will deteriorate in to seemingly every other thread around here recently, going way OT and turning in to a useless back-and-forth endeavor.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.