How was this picture taken? (Fire dancer at Burning Man)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by starlabs, Oct 25, 2010.

1. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Saw this article on the Los Angeles Times a few weeks ago and this picture caught my eye:

What I noticed were the fire dancer's hands and arms - not blurred at all, yet the flames were caught with a very nice arc.

Here's the article
  2. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2010
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Long exposure with a flash. The long exposure (guessing around a second) allows the camera to record the fiery arcs, while the flash will light and freeze the people.

Google rear curtain and front curtain flash for other cool effects you can do with similar techniques.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Slow shutter speed to get the flame to record... then Flash to expose the rest... see the shadows from the flash....
    This is usually called, painting with light.... It's the only thing Picasso truly enjoyed about photography...
  4. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

That looks like second curtain sync on the flash. In other words the flash didn't fire until the very end of the exposure there by freezing the motion of the hands. Panasonic calls it Flash Synchro in the menu. Not sure what Olympus calls it.

5. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

For Olympus, use the "Slow2" flash mode, this syncs on 2nd curtain. The "Slow" mode syncs on the first curtain.
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. Thanks for the answers everyone - you learn things everyday!
  7. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Wow, this is awesome!! I definitely would like to try this one out!
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The photography or the fire dancing? :cool: