How was this picture taken? (Fire dancer at Burning Man)

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Saw this article on the Los Angeles Times a few weeks ago and this picture caught my eye:

What I noticed were the fire dancer's hands and arms - not blurred at all, yet the flames were caught with a very nice arc.

Here's the article

feppe

Mu-43 Regular
Long exposure with a flash. The long exposure (guessing around a second) allows the camera to record the fiery arcs, while the flash will light and freeze the people.

Google rear curtain and front curtain flash for other cool effects you can do with similar techniques.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Slow shutter speed to get the flame to record... then Flash to expose the rest... see the shadows from the flash....
This is usually called, painting with light.... It's the only thing Picasso truly enjoyed about photography...

jmacpix

Mu-43 Regular
That looks like second curtain sync on the flash. In other words the flash didn't fire until the very end of the exposure there by freezing the motion of the hands. Panasonic calls it Flash Synchro in the menu. Not sure what Olympus calls it.

Cheers
Jeff

jambaj0e

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow, this is awesome!! I definitely would like to try this one out!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom