1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How was this lit or post processed?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Panut, May 18, 2012.

1. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    Please help me.

Just saw this new photo in the online version of Helsingin Sanomat newspaper:
    http://hs12.snstatic.fi/webkuva/oletus/560/1305564163437?ts=796
    (it's a tragic story of a car accident)

While feeling sorry for all the involved, I begun wondering how the photo was taken. To me it seems as if there is, at the same time, both sun shining against the photographer, and a strong light lighting the subjects from the direction of the photographer. Kind a HDR look that I usually do not find in newspapers. I doubt a journalist would have set up extra lighting on such a traffic accident scene?

Is it just post processing, lifting up the shadows, or what?

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    that's a heart-wrenching photo.....yikes. I would guess it might be an HDR to get such nice lighting in what must have been shadows.

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Looks like an overcast day, the sky is blowing out, but it's not direct sun, the shadows are very soft - don't be confused by the skid marks. I don't think they did anything to the shot at all.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm sure they processed it to some extent but it looks naturally lit to me.

5. Of all the photos in all of the world that you could have picked to discuss the nuances of how it was lit or processed...

• Like Like x 4
  6. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    Good point!
    I think that's the mistake I made, I took the blown out sky for sunlight.
    Thanks!

And yes, sorry for the poor judgement for the photo to discuss.

• Like Like x 1
  7. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Most likely HDR or pseudo-hdr, with modern cameras' burst rates you can do this without a tripod. Or at least some simple lightening of the shadows of the wrecked car in PP. My guess is that you'd barely get any shadow details of the car straight out of the camera.

8. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    I really don’t hope the next will be a “show car accidents” thread :frown:

Sf

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I understand how some feel about scenes like this, but car wrecks are a reality. I think the shot referenced here is great reportage photography and the frankly, the shot IS well lit. I used to have a photobook I bought titled "Karambolage". It was the work of a Swiss policeman who photographed car accident scenes from 1939 - 1993 in a small village. The photos have an unsettling calm beauty to them. None were as violent as this and most are in black and white. Some were almost more like landscape shots that just happened to have a couple cars off the road. http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-Odermatt-Karambolage-Urs/dp/3882438665

I don't care for super grisly police photos, but there's definitely some cool shots in that area of photography.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I agree.

many years ago I heard of a site called ogrish.org

Do not look at it.

11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon