How tough is an EPL-2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tgmosher, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Well, I discovered the hard way how durable an EPL-2 is...dropped it from about four feet onto a wooden ramp at the Ponce Inlet lighthouse...nice little scuff on the edge near the function well. It still works perfectly.

I don't think my former Nikon D50 would have survived.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good to know, I have one and you never know . . .

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Please send me your and I will throw it from Eureka tower ( google Eureka tower Melbourne ) and see if it survives lol just kidding ,its a spectacular camera and quite durable actually .This still remains my best MFT camera till now . I love the ergonomics .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Eureka tower is a stump...try the CN Tower at almost twice as tall!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Lol...Ok He will send EPL2 to me first and if it survives then it goes to CN Tower..lol
    Cheers
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm just surprised that nothing broke - including the pany 14-45 I had on the thing.

Mind you it bounced off the ramp and into the dirt next to the ramp. So that's down four feet, up a foot or two and back down another couple of feet.

Last time I dropped a camera and damaged it was in 1972 when I tripped on some marble stairs in Germany...knocked the viewfinder mirror out of whack in the Olympus half-frame I was using...had fun trying to ask for epoxy in the local shops but did manage get some and fix the camera.

7. thylightguy

thylightguy New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    It is crazy that I actually found this page. I was searching on google for something along the lines of, "how durable is the EPL-2?" and it brought me to this page. Therefore... I just wanted to take the time to say thanks to you tgmosher for being willing to tell the rest of the world about your bad experience.

8. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I have the same camera, and whilst I think I handle it gently, something caused my flash to stop working.

Not under warranty anymore either...

So while it may be solid, don't think it's 'bulletproof'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.