How tough is an EPL-2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tgmosher, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Well, I discovered the hard way how durable an EPL-2 is...dropped it from about four feet onto a wooden ramp at the Ponce Inlet lighthouse...nice little scuff on the edge near the function well. It still works perfectly.

I don't think my former Nikon D50 would have survived.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good to know, I have one and you never know . . .

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Please send me your and I will throw it from Eureka tower ( google Eureka tower Melbourne ) and see if it survives lol just kidding ,its a spectacular camera and quite durable actually .This still remains my best MFT camera till now . I love the ergonomics .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Eureka tower is a stump...try the CN Tower at almost twice as tall!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol...Ok He will send EPL2 to me first and if it survives then it goes to CN Tower..lol
    Cheers
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm just surprised that nothing broke - including the pany 14-45 I had on the thing.

Mind you it bounced off the ramp and into the dirt next to the ramp. So that's down four feet, up a foot or two and back down another couple of feet.

Last time I dropped a camera and damaged it was in 1972 when I tripped on some marble stairs in Germany...knocked the viewfinder mirror out of whack in the Olympus half-frame I was using...had fun trying to ask for epoxy in the local shops but did manage get some and fix the camera.

7. thylightguy

thylightguy New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    It is crazy that I actually found this page. I was searching on google for something along the lines of, "how durable is the EPL-2?" and it brought me to this page. Therefore... I just wanted to take the time to say thanks to you tgmosher for being willing to tell the rest of the world about your bad experience.

8. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I have the same camera, and whilst I think I handle it gently, something caused my flash to stop working.

Not under warranty anymore either...

So while it may be solid, don't think it's 'bulletproof'.