How to wire a cable to trigger a GF1 with a Pocket Wizard

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tobers, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Andy
    Help needed from anyone with hobby-standard electronics capability!

I'd like to trigger my Panasonic GF1 remotely using a Pocket Wizard. I want to try this out as a behind-the-goal remote camera when photographing football.

I have the following bits:

3x Pocket Wizard plus II
    1x Panasonic GF1
    1x Hahnel wired remote trigger for the GF1
    various soldering bits of kit
    a multimeter
    no knowledge what I'm doing

From my basic investigatory work, I've figured out:

- The GF1 uses the two contacts furthest from the tip of the odd 4-pole 2.5mm plug to trigger the GF1 to fire the shutter
    - The circuit on these two contacts is normally closed.
    - A half-press on the Hahnel remote opens the circuit with a 5 ohm resistance, and focuses the camera
    - A full press has a 2 ohm resistance and triggers the shutter.

So what I need is a cable to go from the Pocket Wizard to the odd 4-pole plug which, when the Pocket Wizard is fired by another Pocket Wizard, opens the circuit with a 2 ohm resistance.

Does this simply mean that I can make up a cable with a 2 ohm resistor in it that has the right pin connections? What I cant work out is what the Pocket Wizard does when it's triggered as it's too fast for my multimeter to register what happens. Does the PW just open a circuit, or is it doing something more complicated?

FWIW, I've just soldered a 2 ohm resistor onto a piece of wire. I had thought that if I then connect this to the two wires leading to the two relevant poles on the 2.5mm plug, it should fire the GF1. However, this doesn't happen. Very strange.

Also, I've noticed that if I set the Hahnel remote to "bulb" mode, at which point it is giving a 2 ohm resistance reading, and then plugging it into the GF1 nothing happens then either, so it seems more complex than just having a connection with 2 ohms across it. If I plug in the remote cable to the GF1 and then press the remote switch to bulb mode, it fires fine.

Inside the remote switch are two resistors. One is 5 ohm and the other is 2 ohm.

Any idea what's going on and if it'll be possible to make this work with a Pocket Wizard?

Here's a pic of the inside of the Hahnel remote:

[​IMG]