1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to view GX7 RAW files on Windows Photo Viewer

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jaynometry, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get the codec to make the GX7 raw files viewable on Windows Photo Viewer?

Thanks

2. bruce999

bruce999 New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2013
    FastPictureViewer

3. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    I don't want to change the subject, but anyone really interested in doing image editing in a first class manner should seriously consider jettisoning the windows platform and move to a Mac.

4. faberryman

faberryman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2013
    Is there a problem with LR5 on a Windows PC with a calibrated monitor? What advantages accrue to the Mac running LR5?

5. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Yo, no religious posts. The Cult of Mac is not welcome to evangelize here.

• Like Like x 3
  6. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    No you shouldn't. Audio editing I get. But photo editing, even video editing, is fine on a Windows PC's.

On topic. I use IrfanView for viewing, but thumbnails still aren't supported and I can't find a free solution to make Windows Explorer show RAW thumbnails, so I'm always shooting RAW+JPEG. I think I had a same problem for the GX1 before. It was like that for a while but after an update, GX1 RAW thumbnails started showing up.

7. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks guys. I discovered IJFR (Instant JPEG from RAW), it's worth checking out if you're looking for an alternative. It's weird, because I downloaded the RW2 codecs from when I bought my GF2, I guess the GX7 needs a new codec? I'm being lazy because I do have Camera Raw and CS6, I just used to use windows photo viewer to check out what's worth post processing.

As for Windows vs Mac, this isn't really the right place for it. But my current PC right now out-specs an iMac along with my 30" IPS monitor and I can run whatever I need to without Mac's limitations.

• Like Like x 2