1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to use extension tubes??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sinpig, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Hi,
    I'm the proud owner of G1, and last week I purchased a GH2. I decided to explore the world of macro, but since buying the GH2 I just don't have the cash to buy a macro lens (besides I don't know which to buy :redface:).

So I purchase the Fotodiox extension tubes and tried to use them with the 14-45 and the 20mm but I could not focus on anything.

My question is how the heck you use this things?? Aren't you supposed to stack them between the camera body and the lens?

Help please.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, you put them on correctly. With an extension tube on, you have to focus the lens at infinity. I just used an extension tube with a 24mm non-macro lens, and with focus at infinity, I basically had to be touching the front element to the subject to get any focus. Try putting on your 14-42mm lens, turn the focus to infinity, and then "focus with your feet." Move the camera closer to the subject. Even at 42mm, you're going to have to get within inches to get focus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Since I have switched to macro lenses I have not used extension tubes for a very long time. When I used them I used them often. It was easiest to set your focus on your camera and move your camera back and forth to get the focus. From time to time I still use this trick when using a macro. Depending on how long the tub is you might have to be very close to the subject. First time I found it best to work on a table with a stationary object to get the feel of the distances required.

It does sound complex but once you get the feel for the procedure it is very easy and not at all complex.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Thanks so much for the quick reply, I did try as you suggested and got up close and personal with a rose and yeah, you have to be really close.
    Thank you

5. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Hi Grant,

I notice the field of focus seems different from one area to another in the view plane, like a Lensbaby almost. Is like it has selective focus and only a certain areas remain sharp.

Is this normal or do I need a trip to the eye doctor?? :eek: