1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to use E-PL1 to it fullest?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alipanga, Feb 4, 2012.

1. alipanga

alipanga New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    I just bought my E-PL1 last month, and I'm just a newbie on DLSR cams.
    Can anyone teach me the techniques and tricks for this one?

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    the answer for this question will be long and boring :biggrin: !
    I try with simple answer, first you must learn the relation between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. You can search this by searching on google.

Then try to learn golden ratio rule or another photograhpy rule. The purpose of these rules are too guide you and to be broken after that :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. alipanga

alipanga New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    LOL! I think I need to learn the basic first huh? Thanks zerotiu!

4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    Ignore all of it. Take the camera outside and take a picture of something. If you like the picture then do something like it again. If you don't like the picture then do something different. Repeat until you find what you like.

After you have done that then worry about what other people think of your photos and what technique they think you should use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Your first million photos or so will suck. After that, you will know what to do.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I must be a slow learner!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Learning while practicing the theory is the best.
    I'm not 100% right but I'm definitely not 100% wrong either, if you just shoot and you don't understand the relation between that 3 important settings... uhh..

It will take too long to realize what that setting for.

I think that "Go out and shoot" will be used only when you learn another part of photography eg.: composition.
    You already know the setting you will use when you want to CREATE a photo but on the other hand you are limited because you think too much about composition or something else. That's when 'just go out and shoot' is use.. :biggrin:

and..wow, If I count all the photos that I've taken, they are not 1 million :( . My photos are suck....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :biggrin:
    just kidding :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Learn your camera thoroughly .. I recommend the E-PL1 book for Dummies.
    Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (9780470879504): Julie Adair King: Books

Then here are some links that I have gathered that are more than useful when dealing with my E-PL1:
    1) DPReview forum #1 E-PL1 tip: What's Your Number 1 EPL-1 Tip? [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    2) Guy Parson's E-PL1 page: E-PL1 comments
    3) Olympus E-PL1 info: E-PL1
    4) Olympus E-PL1 FAQ: E-PL1 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

Take a basic course at the local community college/school to learn basic photography like aperture, shutter speed, ISO.

Read starting out in photography books at local library:
    Beginner Book recommendations: beginner book recommendations [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• Like Like x 1
  9. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    What setting do you guys prefer on Noise Filter and Sharpness (on the E-PL1)?

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Make sure you turn on the Super Control Panel as it makes everything you typically need to adjust so much easier to do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    First book to read is the manual. Then throw up your hands in disgust because it is actually almost unreadable.

Then follow fljoes advice above.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Noise Filter OFF, always (for maximum sharpness). I've done that with every E-System camera made with the NMOS sensor, since the Four-Thirds DSLRs.

As MajorMacgee says though, the first step to using any PEN camera is to turn OFF Live Control and Live Guide, and turn ON Super Control Panel (SCP) for all modes.

If you leave other menus like RC (Remote Flash Commander), Art Filters, or Scene Modes up, then remember that when those modes pop up on your screen you can always press INFO to cycle back to SCP.

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    If you plan on working with RAW files, keep in mind that those settings are only applied to the Jpeg so it doesn't really matter. I shoot RAW+Jpeg and for my Jpeg settings I've been happy with the following:

Color mode: I-Enhance
    Sharpness: -1
    Contrast: 0
    Saturation: 0
    Gradation: Auto
    Noise Filter: Low
    Noise Reduction: Off

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Usually more gear doesn't help at the start, but the E-PL1 kit is an exception. Sell the kit 14-42 lens and get (secondhand) the newer 14-42II or 14-42II R. The net difference should be less than $50 and it will make you life a lot more pleasant.

Other than that, experiment. A lot. And of course read up on the relationship of shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

DH

15. alipanga

alipanga New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    What's the difference of the 14-42 and 14-42II?

16. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It seems to me the version one kit lens is virtually unsellable. Certainly not for any significant proportion of the version 2 price (new or otherwise).

The mark II apparently has faster autofocus (although I haven't found my version 1 focusing speed a problem for what I've done with it), and certainly has the ability to have the Olympus converters attached (you can't put them on the version 1).

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    People seem to get $40-50 for the original kit lens. The II is more like $100. Shouldn't break the bank.

Faster, more accurate focus. The original 14-42 is pretty slow and it not infrequently fails to grab correct focus, particularly for near objects. Also, the newer one has a sturdier build as the front part doesn't rotate when focusing.

DH

18. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I've been watching Ebay in the UK. And the two version 1 lenses I've watched haven't sold while the version 2 doesn't come up second hand often (I haven't seen one for less than around £100) and new they are around £150. But sure, if you can make a low outlay swap then do it.

19. alipanga

alipanga New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh I see now, is factory demo lens is good? Because i bought mark II with a label factory demo.

20. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Factory demo is fine - their should be no functional differences between a new item and a 'factory demo' one.

DH