How to update EM5 firmware?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rgugler, Apr 14, 2014.

1. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

My camera finally came, and wow! It is all a bit overwhelming! I really need to read the manual cover to cover to figure everything out. I checked the firmware, and it is 1.2, so trying to update it to 2.0.

I have been trying to update it with the olympus updater, but it says this function is not available with this camera. When I plug the camera into my computer it comes up with a menu with Storage, MTP, Print, and Exit. I have tried selecting both the MTP and the Storage, and not selecting anything at all, but it still doesn't work. What am I missing here?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You definitely want storage. Is your "Updater" up to date?
  3. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

It says version 1.3. I just downloaded.
  4. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

I tried again, and it just worked! Does it have to have a memory card in it to update? That is the only thing different from this time and last.
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I suspect that it has to have a memory card installed, as there's nowhere else for the file to be downloaded, which it has to be, and then installed. Odd that it doesn't warn that memory card is missing.
  6. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

It did warn that it was missing, I was just waiting for the pictures to finish transferring to my computer before I reformatted it and put it in! Didn't realize you need a memory card for updating firmware!

Edit: It warned I didn't have a memory card when turned on and looking through menus, etc, but not during the updater.

Everything is all up to date now, yay! :D
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I hold my breath every frickin' time I update an Oly body or lens. :mad: This is the worst update process...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Yeah, I mentally played the Jeopardy song in my head while it was doing its thing! I had to go from 1.2 to 1.4 to 2.0 on the body, and the 12-50 and 45-200 both needed updates too! I'm glad it is all taken care of now and I can concentrate on reading the manual and figuring out how to get through the menus. The amount of acronyms to remember is mind boggling!
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I realize you already figured it out, but the following site is the best information for Olympus E-M5 firmware, and also has a link to instructions on how to update the firmware:

Having updated the firmware of Olympus cameras for 10 years now, I've never had an issue with it. I prefer Oly's method compared to the method where you download a firmware are sure that you don't end up with a counterfeit or improper firmware file.
  10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    I think the problem with the updater is related to how long the message reads "updating camera".

The problem is that at that point it is not!!!!

When the dots are going round and round with the message it's actually downloading the file (which is why the camera LCD is blank) it's only the last bit when the screen changes is the camera being updated which tends not to be a long time.

If it said "downloading firmware" during this stage I don't think you would get into that "I hope this is working properly" thought stage when nothing seams to be happening. Even though I now know what it's doing I still get that rising level of fear when it does not go quickly.
  11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi, I am speaking as someone who does not have an OLY camera but wants to get an EM5.
    Ummm, does the latest firmware have true focus peaking? I do not remember if they added that yet.
  12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK