1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to tripod heavy legacy lens with e-pl2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bruinista, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Hey everybody. Can someone recommend a way to tripod my e-pl2 with a heavy Mamiya 200mm lens up front on an adapter. I'm nervous that the weight would just rip off the camera mount. Is there some kind of collar or bracket that I can add to mount by the lens itself? Thx in advance.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm not sure about the mount, but I've heard that the tripod socket itself can bend under that kind of weight.

3. Unless the lens is really heavy (over 1kg), your camera is safe. However, there are many lens adaptors available on eBay that include a tripod mount. Just do a search on ebay, you should find one for your Mamiya. Unless it is a CS mount lens, I have yet to find any adaptor for one of those (and I have some really mint lenses lined up in that mount!).

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Caution must prevail.

This is my response to a previous thread.

There are a huge number of factors to consider when mounting heavy lenses on m4/3 cameras. Besides the ones previously mentioned in this thread consideration must extend beyond the camera's mount itself.

With nearly infinite adaptability of lenses on m4/3 we have capacity to greatly exceed the engineered capacity on these diminutive wonders.

Referencing my 46oz (1300g) the Cosmicar 22.5~90mm/1.5 Television lens here are additional factors to consider: Cosmicar f1.5/22.5~90mm - Mu-43 Gallery

Weight distribution of lens: Is it evenly distributed along its length or it it front heavy as the Cosmicar? Here the union of the lens and camera mounts becomes a fulcrum between the camera and lens. The force exerted by the lens could by 5-10 times greater than its actual weight.

Capacity of the adapter: Generally c-mount adapter are very thin spun aluminum. SIG Member Ekoe provided a heavy stainless c-mount adapter for the Cosmicar. Otherwise the lens would have ripped out of an aluminum mount.

Strap's capacity:
    RichA stared the initial thread mentioning the strap. A neck strap probably isn't a prudent means to carry massive lenses. A sling which bolts into the tripod mount would be more appropriate.

Tripod Mount:
    If the lens is big, it must be supported. The tripod mount clamps to the lens with its foot facing toward the len's front. This orientation place the tripod's threading farther towards the front of the lens, providing better balancing of lens vs. camera weight.

Tripod capacity:
    Often tripods have specifications listing their load capacity. Don't believe it! For the GH2 and Cosimicar combined weights of under 5lbs. I considered a named brand rated at 12 lbs. I thought the >2x factor would be prudent, but when reading customer reviews I found numerous reports of tripod failure with substantially lighter loads than my combo.

Tripod Head and Quick Release:
    Plastic or metal. I owned a substantial aluminum tripod with plastic head and quick-release mount. Mounting the combo I immediately noticed the head was bowing under the load.

Double locking quick release head.
    I have always felt vulnerable using quick release dreading an unintentional release, or the adapter remaining on a camera not with me. With the large combo I felt more vulnerable. It is essential that the release lever have a locking mechanism to prevent accidental release.

Don't Scrimp:
    You are entrusting a huge investment in equipment to the tripod. Be certain it is capable of your trust. I took my equipment to a "real" camera shop staffed by a professional staff who were all photographers. We tried out various combintions of legs and heads to find one appropriate to the setup and my price range.

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/how-much-weight-would-you-hang-off-m4-3rds-26984/

• Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Is this a 645 lens? Or a ZE? In either case, I'd be interested in learning which adapter you are using. The only way to adapt a 645 that I have seen is to use a 645-to-4/3 adapter along with a 4/3-to-:43:. Unfortunately I know of no version of either such adapter that has a tripod mount (as per DonTom's suggestion, which is otherwise a good idea). Lacking that, if you are still concerned about the weight you might try fabricating something like this.

6. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Yeah, it's a 645 210mm f4. My buddy is giving me the lens. Don't actually have it in hand yet. He uses it on his Nikon d200 with a 645-AI adapter and is giving me the combo to use on my Nikon DSLR. But I also got a Nikon-m4/3 adapter and I thought about marrying the two just to see how it would work on my Oly e-pl2. Don't really know if it will. But it would certainly be a big lens with two adapters mounted on the Oly and I'm looking for something to support the weight rather than the camera's tripod mount.

If it does work, I've seen Nikon-m4/3 adapter with tripod stand which I can try.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That thing's going to be a real beast on a PEN. I'm not sure how much you'll spend using that monster, but it will be fun to see what it can do and see what it looks like. It sounds like the investment is virtually nil, so you can't really go wrong.

Be sure to post some pictures once you have it in hand.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Remember, with heavy lenses, make sure you carry the camera-lens combo by the lens. Even carrying the camera-lens combo by the camera or camera straps may bend/deform the mount.

Gary

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
  10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Huge crop factor between medium and m4/3

This chart shows the ratio of sensors between medium and m4/3 formats. The crop factor will be huge using 645 lens on :43:. Since you have the two adapters put the lens on the camera to see what actual crop is. I believe it will be 3.25x. Put it on a tripod while supporting the lens by hand since the lens is supported by 2 adapters.

Before finding a mount, you may wish to decide whether you like the field of view (FOV). According to my calculations it will provide the equivalent DOV of a 650mm but the magnification remains 200mm.

Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Thanks for all the great responses guys. RevBob, that support sure looks like just the ticket for this setup. I'll do some investigation.

Haven't gotten the lens yet but all this discussion has gotten me quite excited to try it out. LOL, watch it'll be completely awkward and unusable. I can always just use it on my Nikon as originally intended.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  13. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I was about to suggest that. I bought mine from B&H and it works great, except that it is rather bulky and heavy. Otherwise it is versatile. This is a useful review (with info on a modification that I found helpful if the lens support needs to be close to the lens adapter):
    Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support Review

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bruinista

Bruinista Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Thanks guys.

15. norvan5

norvan5 New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2014
    I have a Cosmicar zoom 22.5-90 and I'm looking for a robust adapter to mount this on my m4/3 cameras. Is there a custom adapter available for this tank of a lens and do I contact MU-43 member Ekoe to source it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I just joined this forum, so hello everyone!