How to test the IS on the EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gary Ramey, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I've got a lead on an EM5 for a decent price. The problem is he says it was dropped but claims the IS is fine. How do I go about testing that other than to take a long lens and handhold a few shots. I've heard IS repairs are very expensive through Olympus. You're thoughts are appreciated.

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Do you have another body to compare to? I'd take 50-100 shots at 1/15 with both cameras. Check to see the keeper rate on one vs the other.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Yes I do. I have an EM5 and was thinking of buying this one for my daughter. I thought about taking my 40-150 and handholding 20-25 shots. I figured the 40-150 is the longest u43 lens I have.

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    On the EM1 you can see and hear it working in view finder if you turn half press RIS on cant remember if EM5 is the same

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    exactly - although you don't need the viewfinder!

just put your 40-150 on it, go to S mode and set 1/30th (not strictly necessary but it's 2 tests in one....) then hold the camera out in front of you and view a reasonably well lit edge defined subject on the screen - now half press the shutter to activate the IS and look for it's impact. (main test) take the shot and view the image as a 'double check'.

6. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    you can see and hear it working when you turn half press the shutter.

7. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Yeah I am sure you can see it in LCD as well, I just always use VF so I guess it just didn't come to mind, its actually pretty amazing how much it does stop camera shake

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've been misinformed, I thought it only showed the effect of IBIS in the viewfinder and not the LCD. Thanks for this priceless info!

9. If you already have an E-M5 then you have a baseline measurement for how the IBIS should perform on any given lens. Simply listening to it and seeing it stabilise the image in the EVF/screen isn't enough. For instance, I am going to send my E-P5 in under warranty because even though the IBIS makes all the same sounds as my E-M5 and it displays a stabilised image prior to shutter release, the IBIS itself doesn't seem to work after the shutter release. 1/4 second is pretty easy on my E-M5 whereas 1/10 second is a struggle on the E-P5 despite sharing the same 5-axis IBIS system as the E-M5.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    lucky... with all due respect is that not down to human error and ergonomics?

as to the OP... i wouldn't buy a camera that the owner said he has dropped.... not without a serious discount

K

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a sneaky suspicion that it's partially down to grip and ergonomics... The E-M5 is remarkably easy to steady for me with no grip thanks to the thumb grip and EVF, the E-P5 looks to be more awkward.

12. There is no fundamental difference between how you hold an E-M5 compared to an E-P5. With the exception of the viewfinder hump they share very similar dimensions and they also weigh about the same.

13. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Just to be certain if the camera itself has logged any damage you can follow these instructions i copied from a post on dpreview. Section D covers damage. I used this to check my own EM5 for selling and the used EM1 I bought.

*************************************************************************************************
    For those who want to check their OM-D E-M5 shutter count, just go with these steps:

► Camera OFF
    ► Hold down MENU button and turn ON the camera
    ► Release MENU button and press MENU again to get to Menus
    ► Go to LCD Brightness Menu, that's in Spanner Menu and third item down.
    ► Press RIGHT to show screen adjusters
    ► Press INFO and then press OK and on my E-M5 this shows on screen....
    OLYMPUS E-M5 0A 01 01 01
    ► Press in sequence UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/SHUTTER/UP and Page 1 info appears

► Variously press RIGHT for Page 2, DOWN for Page 3, LEFT for Page 4 and UP again to get Page 1

What we are looking for is the information on Page 2, on my E-M5 it shows.....
    R 000091 [total shutter actuation count]
    S 000011 [shot count with flash]
    C 000000
    U 000018 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
    V 000000

B 000101 [seems to be total number of times shutter button is fully pressed for any reason]
    L 000000

On Page 4 is D: damage code log, mine shows blank and that is good.

These are the same steps you can use to check shutter count from all Olympus PEN series and DSLR E-5

Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1