1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to Test Lumix 14-42 PZ for Blur Issue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by twokatmew, Sep 19, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I never planned to own this lens, so I didn't pay much attention to discussions if the blur issue at certain shutter speeds or how to test for it. Can someone please point me to relative info on this topic ... or tell me what to look for? :smile:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Tripod or restrain the camera with the lens and use a fixed subject then shoot across the affected shutter speed range:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/

The MFT curves there will tell you where you should see the softening/double image effect.

I have no issues on my E-M5 with the 1/8th anti shock delay enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks! I've only done some brief testing on my E-PM2, but so far the lens looks good. Will have to do more testing of course, and on my E-M5 too. :smile:

4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I think the issue only really happens with a specific group of Panasonic bodies, the GX1 being the biggest offender on the list with early models. From what I researched about this, they fixed the later production GX1s. Some of the older Panasonic bodies may not play nicely either.

From my experience the lens works fine on the E-M5 but I use the anti shock delay as well. If anything what I've read so far is basically this lens works very well on the E-M5 without any shutter shock problems.

Also an item of note: You will likely experience a little bit of banding if you are using it on the E-M5 @ ISO 25600. Just a heads up if you ever plan on doing that and adjusting the raws.