1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to tell if IS is working

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by J. Allen, Oct 20, 2010.

1. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm wondering if the IS on my EP-2 is working. Whether I zoom in using the magnification screen or don't zoom in and just view the shot with the shutter half depressed in either case I really don't see a difference between IS on and off. The image seems pretty stable with it both on and off but zoomed in there is slight movement either way Does anyone else notice a difference or hear anything? I'm wondering if I should send the camera in. I'm in IS 1. I'm used to really seeing IS kick in on my long Canon lens. I've tried it with the oly 17 and pana 20 and seems the same on both. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Set the camera to auto IS. With dedicated lenses it will find the focal length.
    Do this first... Then you should feel the IS kicking in...

• Like Like x 1
  3. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I don't see, hear or feel anything with auto IS on using the 20 1.7 or 17 2.8. Do see, hear or fell anything when it kicks in?

• Like Like x 1
  4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    if you take a photo with shutter speed down at 1/4 and 1/8 of a sec, and there is no camera shake, then the IS working. Simple rule of them to avoid camera shake without is was 1/focal length. So with the 20mm to avoid camera shake 1/20 shutter speed, the 17mm 1/16 shutter speed. So if you are shooting down at 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/10 shutter speed, then IS is most likely working.

• Like Like x 1
  5. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    I figured it out. The IS only kicks in when you release the shutter. Tried it at 1/10 sec with IS on and off and the difference is clear with no movement in the IS on shot and blur in the off shot. You don't actually see any IS with the shutter half pressed because it's not working until you release the shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Thanks Shoturtle - we must have been typing at the same time. I tried it and it works.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    no problem, glad the you got it sorted out.

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    The IS is noisy. During long exposures you can hear it grumbling away.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You can set the IS to be on with 1/2 press...
    It helps in framing...

10. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    So that's what is causing the noise! :) It didn't even cross my mind.

If you switch to video mode, you can easily tell if IS is working. First, turn it off and pan the camera around. There is no delay. Now turn it on, and pan left and right. You will see that the motion looks smooth on the LCD and there is a short delay when you quickly stop panning. Very obvious. The image on LCD also gets zoomed in a bit. I wonder how much resolution is lost in this process?

11. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Streetshooter - I can't find the setting to do this on the EP2 or in the manual. How is it done? Thanks.

12. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    In video mode, the IBIS isn't used. The image is stabilised in software alone. The image is cropped, and the crop moves around the sensor frame (rather than the sensor chasing the full, un-cropped image around inside the camera body). No resolution is lost, because the video resolution is much lower than the still resolution that could be taken from that much sensor area anyway. What you do get is a slightly narrower field of view.

I don't believe that there's any way to activate the Olympus IBIS whilst seeing a live image on the screen.