1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to tell if a lens is scratched

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by catphotographer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think the normal procedure would be to look at the lens.
    :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. catphotographer

catphotographer New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2014
    Hahaha. Should you be able to see it in normal light? Do the pictures tell you anything?

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    what makes you think it's scratched? looks fine in photos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I see nothing in those pictures that would indicate there is a scratch on the lens. I would just relax and go take some pictures if I was you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I have an old lens that has a chunk missing from the front element. The effect is not noticeable in the images it makes.

It probably reduces the image contrast slightly and could make it more prone to flare but I've not seen this though I must admit I hardly ever use the lens.

Any significant scratch should be very easy to spot if you shine a light into the lens. I believe problems with the rear elements have more of an affect on images formed..

6. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Yeah . . . Not only is scratched, but I can see lots of haze and even some degree of actual element separation.

But . . . since I'm such a nice guy . . . I'd give ya' twenty bucks for it anyway. ;-)

dp

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

8. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    How could an inner element get scratched?

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

What they said - there's nothing wrong with it, it looks completely fine. You can see it from several angles with the light hitting it and there are no scratches on the front element.

Are you seeing something specific that makes you think it's scratched??

10. catphotographer

Mar 27, 2014
    There is nothing specific I see but i am worried that i had cleaned the lens wrong, or that the lens what not is as good as the condition that the seller was describing. Maybe i am just paranoid? Who knows?

11. catphotographer

Mar 27, 2014
    there is lots of specs i see around that just might be dust, but i am worried that i had cleaned the lens wrong, or that the lens what not is as good as the condition that the seller was describing. Maybe i am just paranoid

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Make sure you're not seeing the room lights reflected around. With all the glass elements inside a lens, it can bounce lights around in all sorts of weird ways and it looks for all the world like a spot or dust on a lens. Make absolutely sure the spot you see doesn't move or disappear if you change your position to the light :smile:

And even for all that, don't worry about tiny spots, they're highly unlikely to affect photos. Unless you've got a chip in the glass or serious gouge (which you don't, judging by the photos) it's unlikely you'd ever notice it in the output.

13. catphotographer

Mar 27, 2014
    ok thanks. So i guess i am just overreacting. It mostly like is perfectly fine. by the way, those spots i see appear on all of my lenses that don't have a filter. They appear on my nikon legacy and my kit lens. It must be something normal? I don't know.

14. catphotographer

Mar 27, 2014
    ok thanks. So i guess i am just overreacting. It mostly like is perfectly fine. by the way, those spots i see appear on all of my lenses that don't have a filter. They appear on my nikon legacy and my kit lens. It must be something normal? I don't know. I will try and get a photo that shows what i mean.