1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to tell apart m4/3 from 4/3 on sites like ebay?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by randini, Dec 29, 2012.

1. randini

randini New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2012
    Hey all, first post so please be gentle.

I'm looking to move up from a compact p&s to the m4/3 system. Since I'm planning on using the amera underwater, I'mleaning more towerds the oly's. Being a poor scientist in a developing country, I'm looking at used and putting my own kit together based on used gear off ebay and the like.

Is there a way to tell from a picture if a lens is for the 4/3 or m4/3? Especially for things like the original oly m4/3 14-42 vs. a 14-42 for the 4/3 reflexes. The newer 14-42 are kind of obvious, they say II and II R and are sometimes silver.

Cheers

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Zuiko Digital 14-42mm has a blue ring on the nose, unless it's really old. If it's old enough not to have a blue ring, then you'll immediately see the difference in shape and design. Same thing goes with similar entry-level lenses like the 40-150mm.

m.Zuiko is for m4/3, Zuiko Digital is for 4/3. Plain 'ol Zuiko could be either 4/3 or OM. A letter in front of Zuiko besides m.Zuiko denotes an older OM lens (ie, G.Zuiko, F.Zuiko, E.Zuiko), with the letter signifying the number of elements.

If you're still unsure then post a pixture or link here. Zuikoholics like myself can tell specific models at a glance. When we see a stranger in a crowd from 20 feet away we can still identify their stunning Zuiko 35-100mm (for example) and start fawning over it immediately, lol.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All of the Olympus 4/3 lenses I have seen have a very distinctive zoom ring grips{well the zooms anyway}. These pictures show what I am talking about. The grip has squares{1st pic} similar to the old Nikon E first generation focus rings{ugly}or are slightly rectangular{2nd pic}. None of the M4/3 lenses have these grip patterns.
    Olympus_12-60mm_12mm_400.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[​IMG]

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This might be a good reference site if you are unsure of whether it's a 4/3 or m4/3 lens:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)
    They show the complete line up of m4/3 as well as 4/3 lenses on different pages. The above is the m4/3 lenses page.

• Like Like x 1
  5. randini

randini New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2012
    Awesome!!! Thanks to all of you for helping out.

I jumped on an adorama sale on the E-PL1 w/kit lens and underwater housing. So now I'll definitely need to start getting lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.