1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to tell apart m4/3 from 4/3 on sites like ebay?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by randini, Dec 29, 2012.

1. randini

randini New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2012
    Hey all, first post so please be gentle.

I'm looking to move up from a compact p&s to the m4/3 system. Since I'm planning on using the amera underwater, I'mleaning more towerds the oly's. Being a poor scientist in a developing country, I'm looking at used and putting my own kit together based on used gear off ebay and the like.

Is there a way to tell from a picture if a lens is for the 4/3 or m4/3? Especially for things like the original oly m4/3 14-42 vs. a 14-42 for the 4/3 reflexes. The newer 14-42 are kind of obvious, they say II and II R and are sometimes silver.

Cheers

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Zuiko Digital 14-42mm has a blue ring on the nose, unless it's really old. If it's old enough not to have a blue ring, then you'll immediately see the difference in shape and design. Same thing goes with similar entry-level lenses like the 40-150mm.

m.Zuiko is for m4/3, Zuiko Digital is for 4/3. Plain 'ol Zuiko could be either 4/3 or OM. A letter in front of Zuiko besides m.Zuiko denotes an older OM lens (ie, G.Zuiko, F.Zuiko, E.Zuiko), with the letter signifying the number of elements.

If you're still unsure then post a pixture or link here. Zuikoholics like myself can tell specific models at a glance. When we see a stranger in a crowd from 20 feet away we can still identify their stunning Zuiko 35-100mm (for example) and start fawning over it immediately, lol.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All of the Olympus 4/3 lenses I have seen have a very distinctive zoom ring grips{well the zooms anyway}. These pictures show what I am talking about. The grip has squares{1st pic} similar to the old Nikon E first generation focus rings{ugly}or are slightly rectangular{2nd pic}. None of the M4/3 lenses have these grip patterns.
    Olympus_12-60mm_12mm_400.

[​IMG]

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This might be a good reference site if you are unsure of whether it's a 4/3 or m4/3 lens:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)
    They show the complete line up of m4/3 as well as 4/3 lenses on different pages. The above is the m4/3 lenses page.

• Like Like x 1
  5. randini

randini New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2012
    Awesome!!! Thanks to all of you for helping out.

I jumped on an adorama sale on the E-PL1 w/kit lens and underwater housing. So now I'll definitely need to start getting lenses.