how to take pictures in sub-zero weather

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by caimi, Jan 6, 2014.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US

That's how!

Pan GH3 P20
    • Like Like x 9
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Love it, Caimi!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Subzero F or C? I really feel stupid for not buying some gloves a couple of weeks ago. It is ridiculous how hard it is to find a good glove though, the one I didn't buy would have been perfect if it had some conductive fabric on the fingertips rather then flip up fingertips. I have been looking online for a pair and it's such a crapshoot.
  4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I can live with that! I was quite tempted to try my 7-14 with the new heating element in this unnatural climate. Unfortunately it really burns thru batteries.:biggrin:
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I am accustomed to long cold winters and can give some advice about using a camera (any camera) in really cold weather.

1. Use prime lenses, because zoom lenses will freeze and become primes anyway.

2. Keep a spare battery in an inner pocket. It is important because lithium batteries don't last long when they're cold.

3. If you're shooting out in the cold, keep your camera cold. Don't put it in an inner pocket between shots.

4. When you get home, take the battery out of the camera and place the camera in a warm place for 3-4 hours. Don't turn it on while it's still cold.

I learned it the hard way: in early 2000s I had a really nice Sony P&S killed by water condensation because I violated rules #3 and #4. :frown:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Some good advice I've gotten on shooting in cold or hot temps: put your equipment in a plastic bag when you go inside. Keeps the condensation from forming on the camera/lens. I've had my stuff condense/fog up on me from going into a hot summer day from A/C indoors and from going from a cold winter day into a warm interior, now I try to keep a few plastic bags in my camera bag to be on the safe side.

Failing that, I'll wrap something in my coat or something else that insulates it for a while to let it adjust the temp more gradually.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    So I guess consecutive meatlocker & hot tub shots are out of the question...
  8. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Am I doing it right?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Just returned from freezing NYC.
    After shooting outside I made sure i kept the camera in the camera bag for about 30-50 mins before turning it on. Had no issues..