1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to support a heavy legacy lens with OM-D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mercurio, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I have an old Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (1988 - 1992) that is "solid as a tank" but weights 1.28 Kg, a lot more than my tiny OM-D or EPM-1 cameras. The optical design of this lens is outstanding and I will like to use it mostly at its 200mm range that becomes a 400mm with the micro four thirds sensor of my actual cameras. I bought a Nikon to m4/3 adaptor that I should be receiving this weekend to try it.

I will like to use it with a tripod but I wonder, as the lens doesn't have a collar, if it is a good idea to support 1.28 Kg from the lens mount of my cameras. Because of it´s design a normal tripod collar will not fit, so I ask if it does exist other alternatives. I will like to know what would you recommend to support such a fast but heavy lens. I will try the IBIS of the OM-D for handheld images, but I will like to use a monopod or other devise to support it´s weight.

This is an image of the lens, taken from KenRockwell.com: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

D3S_5805-rear.

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I own exactly the same lens, and use it outside quite a lot.
    I carry the camera/lens combo by the lens to make sure that there is no excessive weight hanging down from the camera. In fact, there is just a lightweight camera hanging down from the lens :biggrin::biggrin:

And when it rains, I keep it with the camera facing up, the E-M5 serves as an umbrella for the not-sealed lens and adapter ...

C U
    Rafael

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well they do sell a Nikon to µ4/3 adapter with built in threaded tripod adapter. So if you had purchased one of those you could have mounted it to the tripod by the adapter or even added a handle to hold your camera lens combo when you go out shooting.

4. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Thank you for your kind information, it seems like a good solution for what I need.

Thank you but I already bought another adaptor that has an aperture control ring so I can use it with other Nikon lenses.