1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to support a heavy legacy lens with OM-D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mercurio, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I have an old Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (1988 - 1992) that is "solid as a tank" but weights 1.28 Kg, a lot more than my tiny OM-D or EPM-1 cameras. The optical design of this lens is outstanding and I will like to use it mostly at its 200mm range that becomes a 400mm with the micro four thirds sensor of my actual cameras. I bought a Nikon to m4/3 adaptor that I should be receiving this weekend to try it.

I will like to use it with a tripod but I wonder, as the lens doesn't have a collar, if it is a good idea to support 1.28 Kg from the lens mount of my cameras. Because of it´s design a normal tripod collar will not fit, so I ask if it does exist other alternatives. I will like to know what would you recommend to support such a fast but heavy lens. I will try the IBIS of the OM-D for handheld images, but I will like to use a monopod or other devise to support it´s weight.

This is an image of the lens, taken from KenRockwell.com: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

D3S_5805-rear.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I own exactly the same lens, and use it outside quite a lot.
    I carry the camera/lens combo by the lens to make sure that there is no excessive weight hanging down from the camera. In fact, there is just a lightweight camera hanging down from the lens :biggrin::biggrin:

And when it rains, I keep it with the camera facing up, the E-M5 serves as an umbrella for the not-sealed lens and adapter ...

C U
    Rafael

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well they do sell a Nikon to µ4/3 adapter with built in threaded tripod adapter. So if you had purchased one of those you could have mounted it to the tripod by the adapter or even added a handle to hold your camera lens combo when you go out shooting.

4. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Thank you for your kind information, it seems like a good solution for what I need.

Thank you but I already bought another adaptor that has an aperture control ring so I can use it with other Nikon lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.