How to stream directly from the camera? G6 & e-m10 mk1

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
I was wondering if there is a way to stream a direct feed from the camera itself. I have a Pana G6 and an Oly e-m10 mk1.
I guess one would have to connect them to a PC through a usb cable and maybe use them essentially as webcams. Is one better than the other for this purpose? The G6 has the edge of a microphone port but it will have to be some wireless solution anyway, so I am not sure how this will work.
Will they save the file to the PC/sd card or will it depend on the streaming software?

Any ideas for the most portable solution? Perhaps using a phone. I do have a Surface 3 with LTE and a USB-A port so perhaps that's it.

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I also saw the UWP app on Windows 10 - Lmaster for Lumix cameras. Then you could stream your desktop. The smoothness of the feed depends on your laptop's wifi card and the settings on the camera. It was reported to me that manual modes work smoother perhaps due to less processing by the camera. I haven't tested this yet.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Thanks. I also saw the UWP app on Windows 10 - Lmaster for Lumix cameras. Then you could stream your desktop.
Interesting approach... I probably wouldn't be willing to go quite that far, personally. It seems like it could be prone to very high latency and audio sync issues... but for purposes where you just need to "show up" I guess it counts... :D

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
I have no idea if it'd work on our cameras.
AFAIK only the E-M1 and E-M5 (since the mk II versions) are tetherable, as far as Olympus... the list of cameras supported by gphoto2 (look for "livestream" in the capabilities) is probably a good first place to check for other cameras (more recent ones may not be listed even if they can be tethered by at least some software, though). EDIT: under the circumstances, some of the older compacts listed there might also be of interest, for anybody who has one with a battery that still works... :D

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Just came across this:
https://petapixel.com/2020/05/08/ca...in-camera-as-a-webcam-without-a-capture-card/

I have no idea if it'd work on our cameras.
I tried it, and could not get it to work with my E-M1.3. I'm using an AverMedia Live Gamer Mini and it works great. I'm also using a Zoom H4n audio recorder as a mic, which I can place closer to me than the iMac's built-in mic. I also have a pair on Sony lavs, but my wife refuses to use them during our Zoom get togethers.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom