How to spend a few hours

ddb

Mu-43 Regular
I live in a little town of 600 people in the beaut
I found this link and have spent hours looking at all the great photographs there. These photographers were probably shooting Speed Graphics with 4x5 slide film. Look at the perfect exposures - no digital manipulation, no dodging or burning - just spot on exposures. Also, look at the bottom of the page for more links.

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943 – Plog Photo Blog

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
Good Lord, talk about "high dynamic range". Some...many of these pictures are astounding. Thank you.

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
Good Lord, talk about "high dynamic range". Some...many of these pictures are astounding. Thank you.

You want to shoot in 4x5?

Just watch ebay, get an old Pola and this amazing conversion and off you go -

forget the Mickey Mouse sensor of a m4/3.......:rofl:

Home

Tecpatl4

Mu-43 Veteran
. Look at the perfect exposures - no digital manipulation, no dodging or burning - just spot on exposures. Also, look at the bottom of the page for more links.

Think about it a different way. They were using fixed lens cameras, and although they had more options, they probably would only have 10 or 15 combinations of shutter speed and apature that they would routinely use, especially outdoors.There was no white balance, art modes, or lenses to worry about, so really there was very little to learn. Under those conditions it doesn't take long to be able to make almost perfect exposures just by estimating. My dad used to do it all the time. After 15 years as a police photographer he hardly ever used a meter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom