How to sort photos on ipad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikegayle, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mikegayle

mikegayle New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2011
    Hi. I am a professional photographer & I travel a lot as my clients are based in different countries. As laptop is quite heavy so I prefer to carry ipad. But the problem is that all my pics get jumbled up & i am unable to show them according a particular theme. So i want something which can help me in organizing my pics. For eg: I want to show my best pics related to nature or wedding etc . then i can easily sort out those particular pics with some keywords etc. Is there any app available which can help me to add tags or keywords etc to my pics?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Not that I know of, but then I use Aperture for my photos, importing them from (usually) the iPad, then syncing back galleries I'm interested in.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Mike, I'd think there would have to be a way to organize one's photographs on the iPad. I know there are many people who want to use it for exactly what you are after.

Deirdre, you know I don't have one, yet, but can you explain what you mean about your methods. You use the iPad as your main source for uploading your pictures and then import them into Aperture? I'm a little behind the times here...on the latest abilities of the iPad. So it can handle RAW files?

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Have you looked at Sort Shots for iPad? I don't have it (yet :smile:) but the reviews at the App Store are favorable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    I use Xtrafolio.

It allows you to create portfolios by theme, or shoot. I export from Lightroom to an upload folder and use itunes to copy them over. It still uses folders but during export you can change filenames to reflect your preferred order.

I haven't found anything that works on keywords.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Note that if you are using iTunes to sync TO the iPad it resizes the pictures. That's OK if all you want is to show them on the iPad, but will make the photos almost worthless to bring back to the computer.

Better to just drag/drop the files IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ronnieoh

ronnieoh New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2011
    Hi Mike... iPad photo album cannot sort or organize photos for you. Maybe this Apps will help you, call MobileNoter. Basically a notepad which you can attach a few photos. I use it for my pre-holiday travel checklist to include some photos.

Lastly, I am glad this MU4.3 site do not use Flash Player which good us - iPad user.

Cheers, Ronnie from Malaysia

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Sorry, I missed this prior to my reply...

Alan

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Sort shots is rubbish.

Portfolio for iPad is the best presentation software currently available. It uses it's own organization system, can be branded to your name and has access to any image on the iPad including images imported using the card reader. My clients love it.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
  12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Certainly glad I didn't buy it on impulse as I've done with so many apps....:eek:

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The iPad doesn't offer a file manager. Best you can do is manage the files and folders on the computer, then send them to the iPad already sorted out as you want them for display. Apparently, the apps that do allow you to manage the files on the iPad have to copy the images that are already there to make another set that they can manage... so you wind up with two copies of each image in the iPad. It's a workaround with a price.

If you can do all of your file management, editing, sorting and such on the Mac, then send to iPad, that's easiest and most efficient for sure. Such can be done on the iPad, but requires additional apps, duplicate files, and is less efficient.

There are programs, I believe, which can run slide shows and displays on the iPad with the files being displayed actually hosted in the cloud, not resident on the iPad, even though they look like they're on the iPad... like streaming still images.

The iPad is great for displaying stuff, not as well suited for file management and extensive manipulation of images.

14. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

The iPad can handle RAW files just fine. You can import them to the iPad and then export them at a later date.
    I have used my 64 gb version on many trips and it works fine for storing photos and videos downloaded from my cameras. After importing each shoot I just look through them and delete off any obvious poor images. The rest stay put.
    When I get back home I can import all the RAW files and video clips straight into my iMac.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - using the camera connector doesn't alter the file. Going through iTunes downsized the file.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Gillymaru... yes, you're right. I was able to import RAWs into the iPad, then import them onto the Mac via iPhoto, then open the RAW in CS5. I corrected my post to reflect that. And as ~tc~ indicates, better not syncing with iTunes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Brian... Excellent. I think Dropbox would be perfect and very important for the traveling photographer, whether using a laptop or iPad.. And Portfolio if using an iPad as well.

• Like Like x 2