How to shoot with a Takumar 55mm f2 ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by HaViet, Apr 17, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Just picked up a Takumar 55mm f2. The lens is in good shape, but the filter ring is a little dented which shouldn't be an issue since I don't plan to use a filter.

Also ordered a Fodiox M42 to m 4/3 adapter from Amazon.

Question, so how would I shoot with this lens and my EPM2? I know I need to use 'A' mode and let the camera choose the ISO and Shutter speed, and I'll have to focus manually.

Anything else I should do or need to know?

Also, what's f/m (feet/meter) measurement between the Focus and Aperture ring? Do I need to adjust that? It seems to sometimes move with the focus, and sometimes not.

Thanks.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It should line up with the diamond, vertical line, or other indicator for zone focusing. It should move proportionally to the turning of the focus ring. There could be marks near it with 4/8/11/16 (or some combination of that), which imply a certain depth of field when viewed at a given size. You can set the ISO, and if in M, also set the shutter speed. Some people say to focus wide open, and then stop down, but I find I have no problem focusing stopped down (unless in a dim room, in which case live boost doesn't work when magnifying). I know on my Panasonic, I have to set "Shoot with Lens" to Off to use non-electronically coupled lenses, but not sure if it called the same for Olympus.

Depending on how bad the dent is, you can always take a rubber mallet and a soft wooden dowel and persuade it back to round. If it damages the threads, no loss since it wouldn't take filters in the original state.

3. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Here's a pic, so it's easier to see.

So, I want the infinity sign (8) to line up on the diamond? Just like this in the picture?

Attached Files:

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I saved the setting for manual focus lenses to MySet4. I have a button for magnify and one for peaking (I prefer this to the "focus preview" function).

On EPM2 there is no peaking but maybe you could try this: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=35442

You should also configure the IBIS for the focal lenght of your lens (the true value, no multipliers)

menu -> shooting menu 2 -> stabilizer -> still pictures -> S-IS Auto -> Focal lenght

With olympus there is not "Shoot with Lens off", just "plug" it in.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Lining up at infinity will only get you infinity if your adapter was perfect, which odds are, it won't be.

Most people use magnify mode on a PEN to manual focus old lenses. Since it's an EPM2, you don't have a dedicated magnify button, so you will have to program the REC button or the FN button to do that. Then you will likely find that infinity will occur a bit to the right of the infinity mark.

I haven't ever seen an EPM2 owner comment about the use of the key line art filter for focus, as Klorenzo suggested, but that does work on my EPL5/EM5. On my cameras, I can have both methods. On an EPM2, I think you can only have one. Not enough buttons. I'd rather have magnify mode.

6. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Thanks.

Questions;

1) What exactly is peaking? What does it do?

2) So for my 55mm f2 lens, I should set the focal length to 55 in IBIS?

3) Do I need to change the IBIS again when I switch back to shooting with native lenses?

7. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Thanks, could you provide some additional info on how to do this? I probably want to set magnify mode to the REC button.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    1) Peaking is a "focus help" mode where bold coloured borders are drawn around the parts of the image that are in focus. Check this video for a visual explanation (with true peaking you only get the black line, not the "cartoonish" effect):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOqo6gA92Y

2) and 3) Yes, 55 is correct. When you use a native lens it's the lens that tells the camera the current focal length so there is no need to change it.

I use Super control panel to customize the buttons function.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    PM2 owner (I really need to sell this)- the key line art filter is much too laggy to be of any use imho. I used it for 30 secs before going back to magnify as focusing choice.

10. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks,

How do I set magnify mode to a button (REC)?

11. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    The thick ring nearest the front of the lens is your focusing ring - twist it gently from right to left till it hits the stop and then twist it back the other way until it hits the opposite stop. This is manual focusing.

Now look at the numbers on the ring you're turning - the ones in the cut out - twist the thick ring until the infinity symbol is in line with the diamond as it shows in your photo. With the camera switched on and looking at the lcd screen, twist the thick ring to the left while pointing the lens at a nearby object. The more you twist the ring to the left, the clearer your subject becomes on your screen. If you're interested, tip your lens towards your face and check what it reads on the lens barrel where the distance numbers are. The BLUE numbers are feet, the YELLOW numbers are metres.

Now above that and closer to the camera body is the aperture ring. Two things to know first: The lower the number, the wider (more open) the aperture. Take 2 or f2 your aperture is wide open and light is streaming onto your sensor. Your depth of field is limited - everything behind your subject is blurry. Good for portraits and macro. At the opposite end 16 or f16 your aperture is narrowed (more closed) and your depth of field reaches from a few feet to infinity (technically). Good for landscapes and architecture. Your photograph is crisp from front to back. Secondly, Low f number (2 or 2.8) if it's a bit dark out - cloudy/twilight, middle f number (4, 5.6) if it's overcast and hazy without direct sunlight, high f number (8, 11, 16) for hazy sunshine/very sunny.

This is just a pointer and others might put it differently but I've tried to be as straightforward and sorta un-technical as I can. Hope it helps pal.:thumbup:

12. Also, what's f/m (feet/meter) measurement between the Focus and Aperture ring? Do I need to adjust that? It seems to sometimes move with the focus, and sometimes not.

The fee/meter measurement tells you your depth of field for your focus point and the f-stop you are using. I do not believe this will be accurate in an m43 crop-sensor application. If this ring is moving when you focus, it is probably loose. There are three tiny screws ( you can see one in your photo, just on the right) that hold it in place. Loosen the three screws then move your focus all the way to infinity lock. Then turn the marking ring so that the diamond lines up with the infinity mark and re-tighten the screws.

If your lens focuses past infinity when you view it in the camera, you can do the same steps as above but moving the diamond to the infinity mark - while the lens is properly focused to infinity on the camera. This will 'calibrate' the lens to your camera and m43 adapter but may not be right for other cameras or adapters.

13. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks so much guys.

Of course more questions.

1) What is infinity and how do I know this?

2) How do my move my focus to infinity? Move the ring all the way to the left or right?

3) So I want to tighten the feet/meter ring where infinity lined up with the diamond?

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    In the picture you posted the lens is focused on infinity: the diamond is on the infinity symbol (the "sleeping eight" symbol).

From the same picture you can also see that by setting the aperture to 8 everything from about 10 meters to infinity is going to be in focus because the white line over the white 8 on the right points to the yellow 10. And the white line over the white 8 on the left is way beyond infinity and that just means infinity.
    With aperture 16: from about 6 meters to infinity
    With aperture 4: from about, well, 50 meters(?) to infinity

If you place the diamond on the 10 meters yellow number you can check in the same way how much is going to be in focus in front and behind a subject placed at 10 meters.

You can think of a pair of white lines over the same white numbers like the lines that include the red man in this picture:

[​IMG]

In this picture the diamond would be set on the man distance. It's quite tricky to explain by words.

My advice: just try, it's simpler. Often you can just ignore the DOF numbers: just move the focus ring until you like what you see.

BTW: does anybody knows what the small orange "R" is?

15. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    What does "focusing past infinity" mean?

16. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It means nothing, it just means infinity. Sometime a left "dof marker line" can end up to the left of the infinity symbol, like in the picture, but it's just a limitation of those kind of markers, nothing more.

17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The other thing people may mean by focusing past infinity is the fact that if the adapter is shorter than the register distance, the diamond will read shorter than the actual distance (the actual focus distance will be longer than the lens reads). They do this so that they dont have to have such tight tolerances on assembly, and can still guarantee infinity focus.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Ops, sorry, I thought the reference was to the "beyond infinity" in my post. Thanks Cruzan80 for clarifying.

19. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks, that pic above was very helpful.

I am getting my adapter tomorrow. I will just try to play around with it a little a see how it behaves. I guess, sometimes it's just easier to get your hands dirty ;)

20. Jason Stamper

Jason Stamper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    I am using adapted lenses on a Panny G5, but I just wanted to chime in on the hyper-focal scale (the numbers between the focus ring and aperture ring). I am using the cheap adapters, and they do focus a bit past infinity, but not too much. In any event the scale is still correct for micro 4/3, no conversions necessary. I have done tests with a measuring tape even, but what it comes down to is focal length. 50mm is 50mm and the lens has no idea what camera it is on. The main difference on micro 4/3 is field of view is cropped from the full frame view. I don't use the scale very often, but when I do it is pretty much spot on.

Have fun and experiment, adaptive lenses are a blast to use on micro 4/3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk