1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to shoot tethered with Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robbie36, Jul 18, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    One of the few frustrations with the OMDs is that you cant just plug a usb cable from the camera into say Lightroom and shoot tethered. As the in camera wifi is essentially 'pull' you cant use the wifi either.

There are some pretty klunky methods for shooting an OMD with wifi cards into an ipad or smart device - the shuttersnitch app is the most popular although Transcend has a 'sort of' tethered option with their wifi card. However I call them klunky because they are unreliable. What happens is that various events drop the connection - finished sending, sleep etc.. I have tried all these methods but they are certainly far too unreliable for me - I certainly dont want to be fiddling with an ipad while I am shooting.

I have though now got a pretty good work flow going that 100% reliably gets the photo from the camera to Lightroom in an average of about 10 seconds. It does have its limitations though. The principle one is that as you are using wifi, it is only practical to send jpegs to view tethered and in fact to maximise speed I use medium sized jpegs. The time to Lightroom varies. The first shot after a significant pause usually takes 20 seconds. And the camera doesnt send photos until it has finished writing to card which could be several seconds after you have finished shooting.

The process is relatively simple...

1) You need a Eye-fi X2 card (it wont work with a Mobi). You need to set it to ad-hoc mode to connect via your home network to download to your computer as opposed to direct mode that you use for smart devices.
    2) You need the eye-fi software on your PC and you need to specify a location to download the images
    3) The camera is set to 'RAW+jpeg' and just the jpegs are download to your pc.
    4) You use the auot-import function in Lightroom to set up the watch folder and then set it to full screen (F) so you see the images in full

This works very well - admittedly you wish the photos would transfer a bit faster but that is always true. I have taken over 500 photos in the last 2 days without any problems or drop connections of any sort.

No its possible that someone has a better way of tether. If so I am happy to switch, so let me know but this method works well and is extremely reliable.

• Like Like x 4
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Personally, I've never understood why Olympus has refused to implement proper tethering option for their cameras. Apart from a very short stint with Olympus Studio, where you could there the E-1, which was abandoned and never resurrected for any other model, nor was Studio. It can't be because it's difficult etc, it has been available in Nikons/Canons for years. There are so many reasons why tethering would be great, yet Olympus appears to be oblivious.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    From what I gather it is super simple - they have to publish an SDK or API or something and then Adobe will do the rest. It would be great to shoot straight into Lightroom RAW files which you can do with pretty much any other decent camera. It is slightly annoying that Olympus wants to call the OMD EM1 a PRO camera when it is missing dual SD slots and tethering. The consumer wifi implementation is particularly feeble.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't miss the dual slots (never used them with the E-3/E-5), but agree with the tethering.

5. MrTiger

MrTiger New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2014
    Tuscany (Italy)
    Hello Robbie,

Was wondering from a while for a good tethered configuration, but rreally I was not sure what to choose.
    Tryed with a Transcend 32GB, that on paper is cheaper and faster transfer rate, but sadly it wont work. On E-PL3 it overheats and files on the card gets all ruined...

I saw the possibility of the Eye-fi, but now you gave a real-life confirmation that it could be a good solution.

Tiger

6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've done the same thing using the Eye-Fi pro x2 16gb card on a Mac and can confirm that it works. I had JPEGs automatically imported through to iPhoto for review and then used Aperture to pick which raw files I wanted to import for further processing. I will say it USUALLY worked. Occasionally there was an unexplained delay in the files going over, and as Robbie says it's not the fastest. Still it's an option for those looking to set up a tethering-type solution.

R

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I shoot tethered using the Olympus wifi system on a windows machine, It works perfectly, far better than the eyefi card(which I used previously and generally found wanting), I also had huge problems with the eye-fi software on certain computers with access rights limitations. All I need is a wireless USB and it works on essentially any windows PC(I'm told it works on Mac as well given the right emulation). It can launch also from a usb thumb drive.

Turn on wifi on camera -> connect to camera using computer -> launch camera control -> turn on Live import mode. Done.

https://rebs.biz/files/CC-1.0.7-Setup.exe

It's in German and English, you will need to hit the setup cog in the lower right and switch it to English after you first launch it, furthermore it's still in beta as this implementation isn't supported and wasn't officially announced, it was snuck into the 1.4 firmware release on the E-M1 as a somewhat hidden feature. I don't know if it works with any other camera although I doubt it unless they've had a recent firmware update by Olympus.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    This is very cool. And has loads of potential especially for those who dont want to buy an Eye-fi card. I installed it and got it up and running but it does seem to have a couple of problems although I very much suspect that these are related to Olympus rather than the software.

Problem 1. When you switch on the wifi your EM1 LCD is replaced by a QR code and assorted rubbish.

Problem 2. If you look through the viewfinder you simply get a blank screen. The only way you can take a photo is directly from your computer.

Problem 3. You appear rather limited in that you can either set the screen to view what you have taken or view what you are about to take.

That is my initial reaction after 20 minutes with it. Most of the constraints seem to be largely those imposed by the EM1 wifi system. It is really fast though I have to admit.

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Problem 1: Only when the computer is controlling the camera, in remote shutter or live import the LCD goes back to normal and the camera operates as normal with the exception of uploading pictures to the computer if using live import mode.

Problem 2: If using remote control, or photo import, yeap. If using Live import or Remote release the camera controls are fully functional and the viewfinder works.

Problem 3: Limitation of the protocol, it doesn't allow both currently.

I'm interested to see where it goes, because it offers huge potential, and yeah... it's fast.

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I cant get this to work. Do I have to attach a remote shutter release to the camera?

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Which version of firmware are you running? As I stated in the first post it was added in 1.4 for the E-M1, it was a hidden feature and no other camera supports it currently as far as I know.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Is there anything else bar this .exe file available so that people can read about what it does, screen shots etc? I'm never quite adventurous enough to install stuff without reading about it, at the very least.

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I couldnt find anything and I have been looking around. I also looked around for this software a month or two ago and didnt find anything.

The good news is that it does work pretty well.

It is important you update to firmware 1.4 or else you will find you are stuck with the QR code. I was on firmware 1.3.

I cant get it to import full screen only thumbnails. But using auto-import in Lightroom enables you to get full screen shots as they appear. You can choose what you want to import i.e. jpegs from a jpeg + raw shoot. Given the speed of the wifi I would recommend this rather than importing raws.

It is certainly good enough to be worth downloading in my opinion.

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It looks like it still has a long way to go based on the DPR post. Someone independently produced something like this in the E-1 days, but that fizzled out before it was able to mature. Clearly the Olympus codec is harder to crack, or not of much interest to those who could make a serious fist of it, so we're likely to not progress with any speed.

16. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

The problem when the software didn't work was discussed in the german forum. Mainly it was due to the internal Windows firewall which was blocking the communication.

I wrote a short note about my test in this link a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=65300

There is a German PDF once you install the software.

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Oz, I think this rather depends. The scope of the software is pretty ambitious - video streaming, complete control of the camera from your PC, time lapse. If you are looking for really well developed software that does all those extremely well, it may well be a while away. If all you want is basic wifi tethering - it works pretty well already.

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    As a non Oly shooter is there a 3rd party app for Android or iOS that allows for tethered shooting with just a USB cable or a custom firmware flashed router over a wifi network? If so; I find those solutions work better than the native poorly implemented options. If not, the community needs to find someone that can crack that nut.

EG I have Android, I shoot to my phone connected to camera via usb (or to router that can sit in my pocket), phone blasts the shot up to the Chromecast on whatever screen it wants to be plugged into. It's surprisingly quick. About 4 seconds from shutter press to screen, seems to be bottlenecked if I shoot to router instead of shoot direct to phone, right to phone it's shutter to screen in about 2 seconds. I really prefer it to standard tethered shooting now, only one 3' USB cable. JPEG saves to phone/tablet which pushes to PC(Or both JPEG RAW to phone and have them pushed to where you tell your phone to push them to when you go back to regular wi-fi network), Raw always on CF, big old preview on the screen. And the firmware from shooting through the phone is a hundred times better than canon's (I wish it was the firmware, I really hate Canon firmware, so clumsy).

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Considering that the software is still in beta, I think I'll wait until there's more development under the belt. I hate installing software that looks promising, but then stalls or dies in the ditch for lack of development.