How to Shoot Night Scene with EPL-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by st3v4nt, Aug 21, 2011.

1. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    After much exploring and always get lots of nice picture with EPL-1 + Lumix 20 mm in Daylight Scene, I try to explore the night scene. The set up with EPL-1 and Lumix 20 which let me walks and snap as often as I like, really makes me happy but I still can't get the setting right. I try not to use tripod yet and rely just on hand held.

Sometimes I got lucky shot like this with low ISO and slow speed...
    ISO 400 f/1.7 S1/5

But when I try to use high ISO to increase the chance of nice picture I get result like this instead...
    ISO 1600 f/1.7 S1/100

I don't mind about the noise because I use art filter film grain very often, but the noise in my picture contain color noise that kind of ruin the overall color, is there any chance to keep the noise in uniform color or did I miss some settings or methods?

Please share your experience and knowledge
  2. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    A tripod is a must! Lowest ISO is also a must in order to keep out sky noise. Another tip would be to include as little sky in the photo as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Low ISO isn't just for the low noise. It's what allows those deep colors to set into the sensor. Don't bump up the ISO for night scenes, use a tripod.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    There is a Noise Filter function that you can adjust, so the first thing you could try if you must shoot at higher ISO is to turn that up to High. I've done some testing with my E-PL1, and the result was that I set the upper limit for the automatic ISO selection at just 500. Anything above that I found to have too much noise no matter the filtering level, or post processing I might do. There are times when I'll set it higher manually, but those are always with a specific objective in mind, so most of the time I just leave it on auto.

For long exposures on a tripod the E-PL1 also has a dark field subtraction option (Noise Reduction = Auto) to account for the electronic noise in the sensor as it heats up. I've not found this to make much difference in my shooting, but in theory this should help with that special type of noise as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You may also need to shoot RAW and spend time developing it properly. A full blown desktop PC has a lot more luxury to do sophisticated image processing than your camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Here is a really cool trick in capturing night shots while hand holding your camera. Shoot at dusk as there is still plenty of light yet the lights have come one on many of the buildings. Take your exposure and then shut down two or three stops. Instant night shots that you can do handheld. The other benefit is there you still have enough light to compose easily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks for all input guys...I shall try to use it next time
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Grant, LOL, that's cheating!

(but I'm going to have to give that a try someday . . . thanks for the tip)