How to setup the OM-D for smallest AF focus target

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Mar 16, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Like the title says, how to setup the OM-D for smallest AF focus target? I am missing a lot of good shots with the 100-300 lens. Particularly trying to shoot birds in flight or even when they rest.
    Critters are very active and mobile. It's very difficult to get good focus on them. Also, sometimes, even when I press the shutter button, the shutter does not operate, why could this be? I know that my technique probably sucks and I need to work on it, but at least I would like the hardware to work properly so I have a better chance.

Thanks!

2. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Have you tried the touch screen?On the right u have a slider to make the focus area smaller or larger. Slide it up or down to ur liking. Not sure if thats what u were asking :)

3. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    from dpreview all credit goes to user Peter 1745:
    E-M5, Help Please: Want centered single AF point and...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are 2 methods of adjusting the AF box size, you can use the buttons or the touch screen.

The button method is for when you are using the eye level view finder. It also works when you are using the OLED screen but it probably easier to use the touch screen method in this case.

Button method

Firstly you need to check that you have a Fn button allocated to "Magnify" . I use the Fn1 button. Assuming you have left the Fn1 button in its default "Multifunction" mode all you have to do is press and hold the Fn1 button whilst turning either of the top dials to select the Magnify option.
    Press Fn1. A green rectangle appears. (Note the normal focusing boxes are green squares ).
    You can now do the following in any order you like.

Use the arrow buttons to move the rectangle around the screen.
    Change the size of the green box by pressing Info button and using either of the top dials to select 5x, 7x, 10x, 14x. Press Info again to return to the previous screen.
    Magnify the focus rectangle by pressing Fn1. You can move the magnified focus point about by using the arrow keys. Pressing Fn1 again returns to the previous screen.
    Use a half shutter press to focus on the selected focus point.
    Once you are happy with your focus point take your photos.

To exit the Magnify mode press the OK button.
    Touch Screen Method

Set the touch screen to "Touch Focus" mode using the yellow button in lower left corner of the screen. If you can't see it press Magnify/Fn1 button. This yellow touch sensitive button cycles through 3 options: Touch screen OFF, Touch FOCUS, Touch SHUTTER RELEASE.
    Touch the screen where you want the focus to be. A green rectangle appears. (Note the normal focusing boxes are green squares ).
    You can now do the following in any order you like.

Move the focus point about the screen using your finger or the arrow buttons.
    Touch the screen near the right edge. This brings up a magnify slider. Use your finger to chose the size of the focus box.
    Press the lower right corner of the screen to enter the magnify mode. When in magnify mode you can move the focus point with your finger or the arrow buttons. To exit magnify mode press the lower right corner.
    Use a half shutter press to focus on the selected focus point.
    Once you are happy with your focus point take your photos.

To exit the Magnify mode press the OK button.
    Tips for both methods

Make sure that you have enabled the IS to work with a shutter half press as this will make focusing easier especially in magnified mode. To do this use Menu> Custom Menu (Gears)> C Release> "Half Way Ris With IS" = On.
    When in magnified mode use a half shutter press to focus the magnified area. If this doesn't work you are probably in S-AF mode 3 so you will need to use the AEL/AFL button to do this. If you don't know about S-AF modes don't worry, the default mode is 1.

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    p44 & 45 in the full PDF manual.

Just follow those, pick Single Target for the AF Target, and 14x for the Zoom Frame will get you the smallest green box which you can then move around the screen with the dial keys.

You can assign this to a button.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you! I just used the advise and it worked. My camera is set up differently as far as the Fn1, Fn2, and other buttons and wheels. A friend set it up as he uses it. He's very good with the camera but he's not available for questions all the time.

Anyway, I could not get the touch screen to work as described until I found a little icon on the left side that showed the touch disabled... Anyway, thanks again for the good advise and clear directions. I will refer to the manual as well and study this in more detail:thumbup: