How to setup my two-body system?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ramirez, May 2, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hopefully I write this post on the right place. My thread will include both my Olympus camera and my coming Panasonic, it seemed to me that this thread can't be just on the Olympus camera- or the Panasonic camera side.

Alright, to the question(s)...

How should I setup my two camera body system to get out the most of them.
    I have already an Olympus Pen E-P2 and I am waiting on my Panasonic Lumix G3.

The lenses I intend to use mostly are the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and the Panasonic Lumix 14mm 2.5.

I would like to have a system that allows me not to change lenses all the time.

And the other question in my two body setup query:

How should I setup my coming G3 to get good jpg:s (what are the in camera settings I can do to get closer to Oly colors etc)? I intend to shoot more jpg:s than RAW.
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I think it's better to use the 45 mm lens with the E-P2, because its IBIS really helps with longer FLs. As for JPG settings, the G3 is the first Panasonic camera to have decent JPEG engine, so I would just leave the settings as is.
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hmm Strato's answer got cut off, but I was about to give the same answer: 45mm on the E-P2.

The E-P2 has IBIS, and at longer focal lengths it's more useful.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But the E-P2 with Lumix 14mm will be a very nice compact set.

I don't think it really matters anyways. Two bodies, two lenses... just put one lens on each body. ;)
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yeah, that's the way I could use my E-P2 and the 14mm - as a compact set; to take with me everywhere.

Part of the reason why I changed my order from the GF2 to the G3 was low light capability. The G3 with the 45mm 1.8 would give me the best low light tool from the equipment that I have.

I think the 14mm on the E-P2 and the 45mm on the G3 would serve me best.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advise :)
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Makes sense to me. Especially if you're shooting the E-P2 without the VF-2, the EVF on the G3 will make a big difference in terms of being able to hold the camera and lens steady, which matters a lot for the 45/1.8 but not so much for the 14/2.5.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

When you're carrying both bodies, put the 45mm on the E-P2 for IBIS and the 14mm on the G3 and EVF on both (I'd rather have an EVF for the 45mm over IBIS, so if you don't own a VF-2 or VF-3, then I'd go the other way), then when you want to go super-compact go with just the E-P2 and 14mm and either pack the EVF in side pocket or leave it. There's the beauty of interchangeable lenses and a compatible system. So many options... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    That is also possible as I have the VF-3 :)
    Just how important is IBIS really (I am used to it as I always had Olympus camera bodies and I don't know how it is to live without IBIS)?

How do I take a photo with the 45mm without IBIS? Steady hands of course, fast exposure?
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Hahaha, couldn't have put it better myself. God help the OP if 2 bodies and 2 lenses is difficult to navigate, we all know that it only gets worse! :smile:
  10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I would lean towards the 14/2.5 on the EP2 w/o the VF, and 45/1.8 on the G3. If you keep shutters speeds on the G3 at 1/100 or faster, you should be fine. Your most compact package is kept together, and I think the G3 still has a larger EVF than the VF-3, and I like to have that when shooting a fast tele.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have more lenses :) Native (kit) and adapted (4/3)... But I just mentioned the 2 I am gonna use mostly...

I actually have an Olympus E-510 that I still use sometimes (sport situation cause of AF speed)... So sometimes I'm gonna have 3 camera bodies.

Just wanted some ideas :)
  12. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    A great setup for me :)

I took my E-P2 with me today to a birthdayparty. I was sitting around the table with a lot of people around, no place for a camera bag!

I had the E-P2 hanging around my neck, the 14mm and the VF-3 attached; wrapped in the Olympus Wrapping Case (it takes the E-P2 with 14mm and VF-3!).

This is really a great compact setup when you cannot have a camera bag with you!

And for other situations when I can have a little bag - then it will be time for the G3 and the 45mm!

I love these options :smile: