How to set up on portfolio/album sites?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I am reluctantly thinking of getting on an album site. I need something both free and easy to use. Even my gf suggested that I get some of my photos out there. I've never felt that my photos were necessarily anything special, but I think it might be a way of getting some good criticism for my techniques and what not. Anyone have suggestions on a site to do this?

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Dj,

dpreview have just launched free galleries - maybe worth a look?

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Flickr is a very good one, in my opinion, but I think it works the best if you pay for a Pro Account ($20 or so a year) because people can view your photos at larger sizes, etc. However, if you want to go for free, that's fine too - and a good way to start out. The big limit for free on Flickr is the number of photos you can post...but you can always delete old ones and add new ones. You can tag your photos, find other "groups" that have similar interests, etc., and both give and receive comments if you wish.

I'm sure others will chime in as the day/night wears on.

P.S. Another plus is, as Amin pointed out to me in the RAW & Jpeg thread
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I forgot about that. Good catch.
  5. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Zooomr is free and has unlimited storage and is very easy to link or embed images too. Plus Microsoft has Skydrive with 25Gb of free storage and you can link or embed images from there too.

I use Zenfolio which is 40 dollars a year. Going up to 50 next month so if you are thinking about jumping in Zenfolio, I woud do it now because you are grandfathered in at 40 from now on, unless you wait until the 50 dollar deal goes into effect.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I like Flickr. Test it out for free and see if you like it first.

Good way to find great pictures from other photographers. And all kinds of groups with discussions.