1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to Set-Up an OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Somewhere, I read that there is an article about how to set up an OM-D for use. Can anyone supply me a link?

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
  3. brian 1971

brian 1971 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    These should come in handy. Thanks!

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I hope that this helps....

My E-M5 Settings
    I use Aperture Priority Mode most of the time. My main camera settings are as shown in the top-down image below, with instructions on how to find and adjust the most useful settings I’ve discovered.
    Changing the shutter button settings:
    Menu > Custom Menu > A Menu > AEL/AFL > S-Af > Mode 1
    Enabling half-shutter-press with image stabilization:
    Menu > Custom Menu > C Menu > Half Way Rls With IS: On
    Enabling AF/half shutter press while zoomed in:
    Menu > Custom Menu > D Menu > LV Close Up Mode: Mode 2
    Changing the button settings:
    Menu > Custom Menu > B Menu > Button Function
    Fn1 = My1
    Fn2 = Magnify
    Record = MF
    Control Pad = Direct Function
    Right Control Pad Button = ISO
    Down Control Pad Button = Burst Mode / Self Timer
    (Left Control Pad Button = Focus Point Select) *Non-adjustable
    (Up Control Pad Button = Aperture / Exposure Compensation Adjustment) *Non-adjustable
    OK Button = Super Control Panel
    Enabling the Super Control Panel:
    Menu > Custom Menu > D Menu > Control Settings > P/A/S/M > Live SCP: On / Live Control: Off
    Adjusting the auto ISO limits:
    Menu > Custom Menu > E Menu > ISO-Auto Set > High Limit: 1600
    Note well: I set the high limit to ISO1600 for regular use as I use Auto ISO a lot. I change the high limit when I am shooting in demanding conditions and require a faster shutter speed, otherwise I find that ISO1600 and the great IBIS provide me with enough stabilization to get sharp shots in most cases. If I needed a faster shutter speed, I would set the high limit to ISO3200 or ISO6400.
    Turning on IBIS when using burst mode:
    Menu > Custom Menu > C Menu > Burst Mode Icon + IS Off: Off
    Note well: Set this option to ‘Off’ in order to use the image stabilization when shooting in burst mode (several shots in one go). If you change the setting ‘Burst Mode Icon + IS Off’ to ‘On’, you will not be able to use IBIS when shooting multiple images at once. When I first got the camera I mistook this setting, which led to blurred shots in burst mode because the IBIS was switching itself off.
    Adjusting noise reduction and colour cast:
    Menu > Custom Menu > G Menu > Noise Reduction: Auto
    Note well: This mode will be blanked out if you have selected ‘burst mode’ shooting. Switch to single shot mode before trying to change this function. Noise reduction is used in long exposures to reduce noise caused by the sensor heating up.
    Menu > Custom Menu > G Menu > Noise Filter: Low
    Note well: This is the noise reduction for Jpeg images. Turn it to ‘Low’ or ‘Off’ to retain more detail.
    Menu > Custom Menu > G Menu > WB Auto Keep Warm Color: Off
    Changing the image recording mode and IS:
    Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Icon > Still Picture: Large Normal + Raw
    Shoot Large Fine Jpegs if you intend to use Jpegs for the majority of your work. I use Raw and shoot Jpegs only as a backup.
    Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > Image Stabilizer > IS1
    Setting up the bracketing mode:
    Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > AE Bracket > 7f 0.7ev
    For times when I want to bracket (shoot pictures with exposure compensation automatically applied either side of the default), I use the Function 1 button. Set up your camera first and save your settings under one of the MyModes. Then, change the settings to the ones you will use in bracketing mode (or whatever MyMode you wish to set up) before saving a new set of MyMode settings especially for use when bracketing.
    I typically envision myself bracketing while the camera is on a tripod, so I set ISO 200, IS Off, 9fps shooting mode and shoot 7 frames at +/-0.7ev. This gives me 7 shots: 0 (normal exposure), as well as +0.7, +1.3, +2.1ev and -0.7, -1.3 and -2.1ev. Best of all, doing this in the 9fps burst shooting mode (which turns off IBIS and locks focus automatically), this is all done in an instant (well, less than a second, when there is enough light)! Perfect for creating HDR images later in Lightroom 4. It would have been nice of Olympus to offer 7f at +/-1ev to bracket the entire exposure compensation range however. I have no idea why they did not do this.
    The only caveat with this system is that you have to hold down the function 1 button while you press and hold the shutter for bracketed images. You cannot use the self-timer to shoot all 7 frames at once (although you can use a remote). This is a shame really. I would much prefer to click the function 1 button once to switch temporarily to the bracketing mode and set a 2 second timer to shoot all 7 frames in one go. This way, I would eliminate minor vibrations caused when I press and hold the shutter button and function 1 button together. This should be easy to change in a firmware update. Please, Olympus!
    Setting up Live Bulb / Live Time:
    Menu > Custom Menu > E Menu > Live Bulb: 0.5sec
    Menu > Custom Menu > E Menu > Live Time: 0.5sec

Note well: In order to use either function, you must put the camera in Manual Mode (M) and scroll the main dial until you see the option.
    Live Bulb updates the images as long as you keep the shutter button pressed. Probably best used with a remote or cable release. Live Time starts updating one the shutter button has been pressed and finishes when it is pressed once more. These functions are great for fireworks, light painting and other creative effects involving movement!
    E-M5 configuration
    Let’s start with Olympus E-M5 configured like this:
    Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Mode > 4 Muted > Contrast -2, Saturation, -2, gradation: Normal
    Custom Menu D > Info Settings > LV-info > Highlight&Shadow:On, Histogram: Off
    Custom Menu D > Histogram Settings > Highlight: 245
    Custom Menu D > Live View Boost: Off
    Custom Menu G > Color Space: Adobe RGB
    Auto white balance, if used, must be set to neutral: Custom Menu G > Auto WB, Keep Warm Color: Off

• Like Like x 7
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    that is the longest explanation I have ever seen... wow..
    much thanks..

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Hope that it was helpful

I hope that the information was enough to help you.....

9. KiowaScout

KiowaScout New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Helps me at least! :)

10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    This might be useful info to know too. It tells you how to set the focal length of a non-reporting lens so the IS system works correctly. Absolutely invaluable when filming or shooting with adapted lenses:

Changing the Manual Focal Length on the E-M5 for use with Image Stabilization. |

You do have to change it every time you change manual lenses, or zoom with an adapted zoom lens, but it is a small price to pay to get IS with a sweet adapted lens that you only paid $20 for.

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Great info. Thanks everyone.

12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    seeing that the question keep recurring, I suggest for admin to put the sticky for PEN and OM-D settings optimization and let's share every tips and trick including the link inside.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW you don't get stabilization with video. Photos only.

DH

14. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY