How to set G1 to use adapted lenses

PowderDave

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a sigma 400mm apo lens that I'm trying to use on a G1.
I've set the camera to work without a lens, selected Aperture Priority, set the aperture on the lens to say f8. Took some test shots. Rubbish.
Clearly missed some settings. Any ideas what? Idiots guide to using adapted lens needed I think.
Thanks in anticipation.:confused:

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Dave,

What was rubbishy? Focus, exposure?

There are probably 200 people here more attuned to the adaptive lens questions than I, and I'm sure you'll here from several of the soon.

I open the lens to full aperture, focus using the zoom in feature, then stop down when the shutter is depressed 1/2 way.

That should work...

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Dave,

As Alan says if you can be more specific than just "rubbish" there are many people on here, myself included who use adapted lenses with hopefully reasonable success, who should be able to offer advice.

One immediate thought is that your 400mm lens is a very long focus lens on :43: and to obtain any sort of reasonable shot it will need to be tripod mounted, given the lack of in body image stabilisation on the G1.

Barrie

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On a APC or full frame camera, 500-1000mm lens is difficult to handhold. Its really no different for our cameras. A 400mm lens is equivalent to a 800mm lens which means either a good steady support OR to a certain extent a shutter speed closer to 1/1000th. I'm pretty steady and a 300mm f/6.3 is difficult for me to handhold and this is with an E_PL1 with IS.

To get a feel, try taking a few test shots on a tripod to rull out any problems with handshake.

PowderDave

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi, when I say rubbish the pictures are dull, almost foggy. I used a tripod, cable release, reasonably bright day. Lens is in good condition and I can see no marks on the glass.
Focus is reasonably easy. Should the aperture on the camera be set to the same as the lens or does it do it automatically? I could not see how I set it.
Cheers.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
You shoot in the "A" mode. Aperture preferred.

Then then camera will select a shutter speed adequate to the Aperture to which you have opened the lens.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is the lens from another camera you have? If so did it work OK on it?

Yup.. This is the obvious next step.

If its foggy and lacks contrast, its possible that one of the inner elements is hazy and the lens requires a CLA. Looking through the lens in normal light it will not be immediately apparent. If you have a sharp pin point light (LED penlight works), you can shine it through the lens while observing from the other side.

Real Name
Nic
If its foggy and lacks contrast, its possible that one of the inner elements is hazy and the lens requires a CLA.

That would seem to the logical diagnosis.

Are you using a hood with the lens? A lack of hood won't cause you pictures to look foggy but it will improve contrast under bright conditions.

qball

Mu-43 Regular
Check your white balance, and ISO...

I had this happen once, and I went back and made sure I was using AWB, Auto ISO, and had everything set to nominal settings... no color enhancement mode, no exposure compensation... try it with a nice fast setting (lowest f-stop, in a well-lit area, and brace or use a tripod.

It could be that you just don't have enough light, and the camera is bumping up the ISO to a really high number which could make the pics grainy or off-exposure from what you are seeing in the view finder.

PowderDave

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the replies. The lens had a fungus covered element which was visible when I put a bright torch at the other end, as suggested. Got my money back on that one. That's been replaced by a very nice OM 50mm f1.4. I also decided that long lens should be the panasonic 100-300, so that turned up as well!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

Latest threads

Top Bottom