How to set focal length for manual zoom lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lowincash, Aug 22, 2013.

1. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have a canon fd 70-210mm f4 lens and my E-P5 will be coming soon. I remember when I had the E-M5 I had to set the focal length of the lens I'm using for the IBIS but usually those are prime lenses that I used (50mm and 135mm). How would I set the focal length for the 70-210 lens so the IBIS will know how much to compensate?

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    If you shoot at 70mm, set IBIS to 70mm, if you are shooting at 135mm, set IBIS to 135mm, if you are shooting at 210mm, set IBIS to 210mm. There is no electronic connection between the lens and the camera body, so the camera cannot read what focal length you are set at. Legacy lenses are fully manual, which also includes manually setting your IBIS focal distance. This is why I usually stick to prime legacy lenses. Set it and forget it until you change lenses.

3. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Bummer, I was afraid of that lol Well I usually either use the 70mm (macro mode) or the 210mm end anyways so guess I'll do that.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have found that you can operate in a small range without any issue. It depends on how much of an angle of view difference there is of coarse. I have a 60mm-300mm zoom and I can set the IS to 250mm and use it from 220-280mm or so. This would be a much smaller range for a wider angle of view{shorter focal length}.

5. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Sounds good, I'll give that a try when my camera comes :D I never got to test it out on the E-M5 as I sold it before getting the lens lol