1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to set Aperture with legacy lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tigertiger, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm having an issue with legacy lenses... Whether I'm in Aperture Priority mode or Manual, it won't allow me to set the aperture on the camera.

I know the Panasonics have a "shoot without lens" mode, is there something similiar on the Pens, or do they somehow magically know what aperture the lens is set to?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Legacy lenses have the aperture dial ON the lens. You absolutely can't set the aperture from the camera - there's no connection or communication between camera and lens. So you shoot in Aperture priority, adjust the aperture on the lens ring and then the camera will set the shutter. Or shoot in manual and set the aperture on the lens ring and then set the shutter speed with the camera. You can't shoot in shutter priority or program though because the camera has no way to set the aperture. It can read how much light is coming through the aperture you've set with the lens ring and make the other adjustments in the camera, but it can't control the aperture, no way, no how.

-Ray

3. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Yes, I know... I've been shooting SLRs since I was 13! ;-)

But for metering to work properly, doesn't the camera need to know the aperture I'm using to properly expose the shot?

The reason I'm asking is this... the exposure is way off in manual mode, it looks correct on screen but then the picure will turn out too dark or too light.

In aperture priority mode it's exposing correctly (more or less), but then I can only tweak the exposure using exposure compensation and I'd rather have direct contol of the shutter speed.

4. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, the camera doesn't nee to know the aperture, only how much light is coming THROUGH the aperture. That's how it knows where to set the shutter speed (or how to tell you when YOU'VE set the right shutter speed). Why its working in Aperture priority mode, but not in manual mode I couldn't tell you. But if its working in aperture priority with you setting the aperture manually, it sounds like its basically working the way its supposed to.

The problem with manual mode is a bit odd though, I agree. But it shouldn't require any more communication between camera and lens than knowing how much light is coming through the lens...

-Ray

5. I always set the camera to Program mode with the main control dial set adjust exposure compensation if required. The camera will adjust the exposure based on the light transmission through the lens; it doesn't need to know the exact aperture value. This works fine for me on both my Olympus and Panasonic bodies.

6. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Okay, that makes sense.

It seems to be brightening up the screen to make it more visible, but this makes it useless for determining exposure. I've checked the settings, and live view boost is set to off.

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Depending on the lens, I've also found that Matrix metering can be fooled. With MF lenses I switch to Center-Weighted or even Spot metering. This may explain the inconsistency of the over/under exposure you are experiencing.

8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Are you trying to set the exposure by how it looks on the screen or by using the exposure indicator? I don't recall exactly how Panasonic does it, but on every camera I've owned, there's some sort of indication on the screen that tells you where your current settings leave you regarding exposure. IE, if it shows +2 you know you're overexposed and need to go to a faster shutter or smaller aperture to correct. If you're basing it on how it looks on the screen, I don't think you'll ever get it because most screens will gain up or dim down to make what you're seeing viewable. But the camera should give you some indication of where you are relative to its calculated "right" exposure and of course you can always adjust up or down from there if you want to.

If the camera is nailing exposure in aperture priority, that tells me the metering is fine. If you're having trouble in manual, it doesn't sound like its because of the camera's meter.

-Ray

9. In M mode the screens will adjust the gain up or down to show a correctly exposed image to aid focusing and composition. Any under or overexposure will be indicated on the EV scale (Panasonic) or as a plus/minus EV value (Olympus).

10. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Yep, I use my legacy lens plenty of times. I go by the exposure indicator on the screen and adjust the shutter speed on the camera and/or the aperature manually on the lenses. I always shoot in M (manual) mode. Rare times I would use any other ones, well, except the art filters they would be my second most used mode.

11. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks guys, I see the indicators now. Doesn't seem to be anything about them in the manual!

Still not sure why the viewscreen shows the correct exposure in A-mode.

12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    My guess is its not showing the correct exposure, so much as its showing you whatever level of gain you need to see the image clearly but is making the actual exposure based on what its meter is telling it.

But, as long as its working for you now!

-Ray

13. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    It would be interesting if there was a "preview button" in the camera, like in the old film SLRs, that show, when pressed, how will be the exposure of photo if you take it.
    In other hand, thinking on how things go, it's impossible to happen, since they are taking off the buttons and levers that are already there...

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Because it's an auto exposure mode. So regardless of what you set the aperture to on the lens, the camera will adjust shutter and iso to compensate and achieve correct exposure.