How to rotate umbrella with flash?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cyrax83, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I have a Nissin i40 flash that I'm going to be using off camera with an umbrella in TTL mode, I recently bought a cold shoe flash holder with umbrella holder. The flash does come with a little stand with a screw on the bottom but not used in this setup

It works fine, except I can't turn the umbrella independently of the flash, meaning if I want the optical sensor facing me, and the head angled 90 degrees on the side, I can't adjust the unbrella to match the direction. It's fine for indoors, but outdoors in sunlight I need the sensor facing me and want the off camera flash on the side of the subject.

Some pictures may make more sense

Flash normal straight direction :
    Ideal: sensor facing me, head angled. Can't change umbrella direction

The adapter was only $8 so no huge loss, can anyone link me to a cheap compatible one?

2. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's pretty uncommon to mount a flash facing sideways on a flash bracket. You have a typical flash bracket with the shoe parallel to the umbrella arm. Normally you would mount the flash with the IR/optical receiver facing forward and flip the flash head backwards 180 degrees into the umbrella.

If you are using this outdoors, I'd skip wasting any more money on brackets and just get some discount radio triggers (Yonguo RF603, etc). Even with line of sight, in enough sun you will have issues with connectivity using IR. Radio is not affected by light or line of sight.
  5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi, Yes I wish I could just get radio triggers - but i'm still learning with flash and experimenting with TTL. As far as I know, there aren't any TTL radio triggers for Micro 4/3? If I went radio I'd have to go full manual which is probably a little daunting initially and would have to start experimenting with light meters. I'm only an amateur at this stage, haven't done a shoot yet with off camera flash
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    +1 on the radio triggers. Re TTL you will quickly abandon it anyway as it gives unpredictable and relatively uncontrollable results. You don't need light meters either. Just set up with the strobes on manual and experiment with apertures and shutter speeds until you get something that works for you. That's how you'll learn flash. If you don't already know this site: it is a good place to start.
  7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Ahh cheers thanks for the tips. I know someone mentioned the Yonguo RF603 (I can see a version II on amazon which I've heard is also better) - is there a standard bang for buck trigger that everyone runs that works best with the E-M1?
    My flash also has no sync port, so assume it would have to be triggered from the radio hot shoe

edit: purchased this
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015