1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to remove Fotodiox FD-m43 adapter from lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Frunch, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    As the title of my post suggests, I have a Fotodiox adapter for Canon FD lenses to connect to our beloved m43 cameras, and I'm having trouble removing the adapter from the lens. The adapter works fine, I have no problems at all with it, I just need to remove it in order to test it out on another FD lens I recently acquired. Anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions regarding the removal of the adapter from the lens?

Thanks! :smile:
    Trevor

2. evil43

evil43 New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2013
    Right near the beach
    Rob
    They're a little tricky at first, but the lens adapter AND the lens itself have a lock ring on them. First, turn the adapter's lock ring to the open position (it should be labeled lock<--->open), then turn the lock ring on your FD lens clockwise, and the adapter should pop right off. They can be a little sticky to remove at first, and it might require a firm grip, just don't force it.

3. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    I'm pretty familiar with FD glass and adapters having shot extensively with them on my X Pro 1 and a bit now with the OM-D.

What lens are you trying to unmount? As you probably know there are two steps to disconnecting an original FD mount lens - turn the silver ring at the rear of the lens counterclockwise (facing the front of the camera) and then rotating the LOCK-OPEN ring to the open position.

I have had a couple of instances where the lock-open ring pin would get stuck on the wrong side of the aperture step down lever on the back of the lens, which would make unmounting the adapter difficult.

4. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you both for the advice! The lens I'm trying to remove the adapter from is a Tokina AT-X 90mm macro lens. I'm heading out for a bit, but look forward to trying your suggestions when I get back. Any further tips and advice appreciated!

Thanks again!
    Trevor

5. evil43

evil43 New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2013
    Right near the beach
    Rob
    That has also happened to me with my Bell & Howell branded Canon 135mm f/2.5 S.C. The first time it happened it was kind of like solving a Rubik's Cube. Finally after fiddling with it enough it just came off.

6. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Success! The advice you both provided was spot on. It's been so long since I put the adapter on this lens that I forgot the lens itself had a locking ring. The new lens has one, so I had to assume the old one did too--especially after reading your responses. That was the trick: turn the adapter ring's "Lock <---> Open" ring to the "open" position, then turn the lenses locking ring clockwise while holding the adapter firmly to prevent the adapter itself from rotating. It took a little force to get it to release, but I was careful not to over-do it. Worked like a charm!

Thanks for your help, denis_sf and evil43! :tiphat:

Trevor

7. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Ah yeah I dislike this adapter, one time I almost had a lens fall off because of my inexperience with the FD mount and this contraption. So I broke down and bought the 45-200 to replace the 70-200 I was using before. :D

8. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Glad you're back in action!