how to remote trigger flash without adding to exposure; e-pm2 & Nissin Di 466

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dan43, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    Hi everybody! I've been lurking for a while and finally joined the forum. Looking forward to learning from you guys, and maybe even contributing a bit!

Here is my first question:

I just got my first flash - the Nissin Di 466, and was wondering whether it is possible to remotely trigger the flash via the flash of my e-pm2, without adding to the exposure.
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Might be a hint in this thread!
  3. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    Thanks, Rob!

Your answer has actually been quite helpful.

So I learned that I have to activate RC mode on the e-pm2, where I can then set the on-camera flash to "off". I did some testing and found that the on-camera flash nonetheless adds a little to the exposure, but I guess I can live with that.
  4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Another trick is to put (hold or rubber band works) an piece of IR filter in front of the on-camera flash. That lets IR through, which is enough for the slave flash to fire, but it won't show up in the photo because the camera sensors has an anti-IR filter in front of it.
  5. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
  6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Is this an issue on newer models (E-M5, E-M1)? I've not heard of the bundled flash unit causing exposure issues in RC mode for remote triggering before on newer models
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    When I used EPL5 to trigger the Metz 44 I don't think there's an issue, but I'm not sure whether the camera uses a preflash or does it actually add to the exposure. Luckily now I'm using G6 and there's a option to enable or disable the on board flash