1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

how to remote trigger flash without adding to exposure; e-pm2 & Nissin Di 466

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dan43, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    Hi everybody! I've been lurking for a while and finally joined the forum. Looking forward to learning from you guys, and maybe even contributing a bit!

Here is my first question:

I just got my first flash - the Nissin Di 466, and was wondering whether it is possible to remotely trigger the flash via the flash of my e-pm2, without adding to the exposure.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Might be a hint in this thread!

3. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    Thanks, Rob!

Your answer has actually been quite helpful.

So I learned that I have to activate RC mode on the e-pm2, where I can then set the on-camera flash to "off". I did some testing and found that the on-camera flash nonetheless adds a little to the exposure, but I guess I can live with that.

4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Another trick is to put (hold or rubber band works) an piece of IR filter in front of the on-camera flash. That lets IR through, which is enough for the slave flash to fire, but it won't show up in the photo because the camera sensors has an anti-IR filter in front of it.

5. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
  6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Is this an issue on newer models (E-M5, E-M1)? I've not heard of the bundled flash unit causing exposure issues in RC mode for remote triggering before on newer models

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    When I used EPL5 to trigger the Metz 44 I don't think there's an issue, but I'm not sure whether the camera uses a preflash or does it actually add to the exposure. Luckily now I'm using G6 and there's a option to enable or disable the on board flash

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.