How to reduce my lens lineup...

Sixgod

New to Mu-43
Currenly I own P 14mm f2.5, O 17mm, P 20mm F1.7, P 25mm F1.7, O 45mm F1.8, P 12-32mm, and O 9mm cap. I need some help here, if i just wanna keep 1 zoom 2 primes, can i just get rid all other than 12-32, 17mm and 45mm? I know the 14mm is quick in focusing and 20mm is sharp to the sky...but i just dont use them that much :)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you don't use the 14mm & 20mm much then you answered your questions on those two. If you want to reduce then those should be the first to go.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Don
For my kind of shooting, I'd keep the 12-32, 14 and 45. I'm more likely to use a 28mm equivalent over a 34mm equivalent in a fast prime. But that's just me.

Sixgod

New to Mu-43
If you don't use the 14mm & 20mm much then you answered your questions on those two. If you want to reduce then those should be the first to go.
Maybe i should think more about which focal length i like the most instead of which is sharper...

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
How to reduce my lens lineup
Why would you ever want to do that? :)

Seriously, do you have some serious space constraints? Spouse constraints? Short of cash? An overwhelming desire for simplicity?

I find that when I am feeling uninspired, hauling out an old lens that I haven't used in a long time puts the zing back into photography.

So I suggest that you put the 14 and the 20 into ziplock bags with some silica gel packets and put them in some dark, cool, dry place. Then if you find your interest in your other lenses waning, go find where you hid those two and shoot with noting but those two for a while. See if that doesn't cure you of the insane notion that one can "reduce their lens lineup." :)

I've only felt remorse over lenses I've parted with, never over ones I've kept.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
The trouble with doing surveys of what you shoot, is the old phrase often used as weasel words "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". You might change your mind in the future of what you want to shoot.

And also, it doesn't cover lenses that you only use occasionally, but the photos taken with that lens are important to you. For example, I tend to mostly shoot in the 12-150mm range (and use the Olympus 2x electronic zoom to get to 300mm). But often I find for fall shots, I might want to go a little wider. And if I'm going to a medium sized zoo, I might want my longer telephoto (Panasonic 100-300mm mark II lens). Sure, there are times when you need to downsize (limited space to store stuff, you need the money gained by selling the lens for something else, etc.). Bear in mind, you will often get a lot less for your lens sale, than you paid. Obviously renting a lens is an option, but if you do it too often, it probably would have been better to keep the lens rather than selling it.

Even if you have overlaps, it can be useful to keep one lens that overlaps in case something happens to your main lens. If you are a working pro who gets a majority of your income from photography, you should probably be doubling up any way, since Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees you might have equipment failure on your most important shoot.

And finally, I occasionally shoot video for some renaissance faires and theater projects. I've been contemplating buying a second copy of the Olympus 12-40mm and Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 lenses, just so that I have reasonably fast lenses for both the video recording and the stills that I shoot at the same time. I realize this is a special case 1st world problem, but you need to think about how you use the gear, and if there are special cases, factor those into your decision.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have mostly given up using my GX80. I am taking photos with my FZ82. It takes good moon shots that dont need cropping, goes wide, goes macro. Great on holiday, no changing lenses. Good results for wildlife. However, tomorrow I am off hiking around Higgor Tor in Derbyshire, with a tripod, monopod, 7-14, 14-140, 100-300, 15 and 42.5mm lenses on the GX80. Proper photography!

Being so compact and fast the 20 and 14 should be kept,as they take up no room,are good for low light and indoor photos. If you sell them you will get practically nothing. Sell everything but the 12-32 and the 9mm.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think your idea of keeping only the 17 and 45 makes perfect sense. 14, 20 and 25 are all close to 17mm (and each other) and your zoom covers those focal lengths already.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
The 20mm f1.7 is great for low-light street photography so I'd keep that. I owned the 14mm f2.5 and I found it quite useless: Wasn't wide enough, and wasn't faster than the 20mm, so I sold it rather quickly.

I love the 20mm f1.7 because it is so small that I can always slip it into my camera bag and I prefer it to the P 25mm f1.7. A good zoom lineup is O 9-18mm, P 12-32mm, P 45-175mm. I'd get rid of the P 14mm f2.5, O 17mm, P 25mm F1.7, O 45mm F1.8, and replace them with the PL 15mm f1.7 (tiny and razor sharp) and the P 42.5mm f1.7 (I much prefer the P 42.5mm to the O 45mm f1.8).

I have more lenses than you and I never find myself thinking I have too many and need to get rid of some. There was an obvious reason why you bought each one of these lenses so they each have a purpose. I use mine as the need be. I don't have a panic attack because some don't get used as often as I'd like.

Last edited:

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Some people like to collect lenses, others like to find favorites and let go those that go unused. I'm part of this latter group. All of the lenses you've got are good lenses -- but if there are some that you never use, why note move on from them? In particular, this reduces clutter in my life and it also means that I don't feel guilty when I buy a new lens (because I'll sell an old one).

I've owned, enjoyed, and eventually sold various lenses, usually when I find another lens I like more. I've also got favorites that I anticipate I'll never sell, even if I find something "better." The P20/1.7 is a good example of that for me.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When you have lenses you don't use, and feel too many options are distracting you from your photography, I believe selling something may be correct. 17/45 is my favourite two primes setup.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@Sixgod Take Michael Meissner's advice, which I boil down to "only you know which lenses you prefer or are important". How you came to have four primes from 14 to 25 and a zoom that almost covers that exact range, and only one other lens, is pretty odd, and should lead you to more introspection. Lots of people here have those same four, but they also have 10 or 12 others, so while maybe excessive it is logical/consistent.

OR, you could just buy the 15/1.7 and create an even less understandable lens line-up. :)

Last edited:

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
@Sixgod Take Michael Meissner's advice, which I boil down to "only you know which lenses you prefer or are important". How you came to have four primes from 14 to 25 and a zoom that almost covers that exact range, and only one other lens, is pretty odd, and should lead you to more introspection. Lots of people here have those same four, but they also have 10 or 12 others, so while maybe excessive it is logical/consistent.

OR, you could just but the 15/1.7 and create an even less understandable lens line-up. :)
Agree with Demiro and Michael Meissner and that little 15mm f1.7 is a lens I'll have to buy again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom