How to recreate Auto White Balance settings on OM-D E-M5 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by spacecreature, Feb 1, 2015.

1. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey guys,

Just like the title says :) Is there a way to recreate the WB settings of an image captured on auto white balance? What I mean is let's say you are shooting on a location with mixed lighting and while you are shooting multiple test shots on auto white balance (the rest is manual) you like a photo in particular and want to either review the WB settings of that Image (which I don't know how, I mean you can read auto WB but it doesn't give you a particular number or anything) or set the same WB for the following pix, is that possible? I know you can create a custom white balance by shooting a white/grey card and using that, but can you use the WB of a previously captured image on auto? Or view the K value of that image so you can input it manually for the following captures...

Hope I make sense:)

Tnx in advance ...
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you using RAW? If so, then yes. The RAW converter will let you view and change the WB Kelvin and green/magenta offset. For JPEG, it doesn't work so well.
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    It depends on the program you are using. For jpeg I would duplicate the good picture, enable WB correction and tweak it until it is identical to the other copy. Than copy-past this WB setting on all the other images. Makes sense? No, it doesn't because with the other pictures you also have to compensate for the "wrong" WB too. Even a gray card shot wouldn't help you here.

Ok, let's try again. Make another copy. Find a recurring white-ish/gray-ish element where you can set the WB with the color picker until it is identical to the good one. It doesn't have to be perfectly neutral. Then set the WB with the color picker on that element in the other pictures. It's my best shot.
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    You mean while out in the field shooting right? I would like to know the answer too, ...if that is the question
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    it sounds like to me that you would want to shot RAW, then in Lightroom or ACR, select the "as shot" for white balance. Should give you the settings, then you can use that temperature and tint value set on all the other images.
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    In camera - No.
  7. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    IF you shot it in Raw, then when you open the raw file in something like adobe camera raw, you'll see the color temperature and shift on the dialog. If you know those numbers you can use it on any other shot, or set it under the camera's Custom WB (ie: set by Kelvin), though it may not be perfect in camera, but you can to some extent tweak the color shift via the super control panel (I think it shows as A and G next to the white balance setting).

But that of course requires you to get access to a computer to see it before you can use the values manually elsewhere.
  8. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    Yes! That is exactly what i meant! I know how to fix in post that's not what I am asking , what I want to know is if, while you are shooting, and you happen to get a good result by auto WB on a particular photo (coz lets say the camera is getting confused with all the mixed lighting), you can tell the camera to stick to that setting for the following images, and stop changing it each time.. or if at least you can view the settings in the info somehow, then at least I can manually set the number in and use a custom white balance...but can't seem to do either so far..
  9. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It's really a post-processing thing, not an in-the-field thing. There's no advantage to trying to manually set it in the camera to what's not much more than a random value. Worry about shooting good compositions in the field; worry about setting the white balance to something unusual in post.
  10. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    There is if you might end up using the jpegs and dont want to waste time fixing the raw images..or at least u want jpegs that look about right to get an idea, even if you will end up using the raws..
    and It's not necessarily random, ok here is an example, lets say I am shooting in a conference room with yellowish lights (a mix of tungsten and some other colors, but the mix is handled well by auto WB) but in the room to one side you have a large projection screen which is usually more cold whitish/blueish in color..If you shoot in the direction of that projection the camera overcompensates and you get people looking too yellow, but when you shoot in the other direction the images look ok..Anyway right now im doing a quick custom white balance but sometimes I dont have time, so just wondering if there is another way..i guess not..anyway thanks for all the answers:)