1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to record video for hours at a time?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by theninjaseal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. theninjaseal

theninjaseal New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    I have a GH2, and I need to do some video recording for 9-10 hours unmonitored. It'll be indoors and I can hook it up to my laptop, but so far I haven't found a good way to do that. My largest SD card is a 16GB and that's only enough for 3 hours on the lowest bitrate (that I can find).

I can't stop and reset in the middle as it'll be overnight and I'll be asleep :) 

I'd like something I can do without a lot of extra equipment, especially expensive equipment. However, I'm open to all ideas and if I need a $200 controller then so be it. I'm appreciative of whatever advise you guys can give

Thaanks

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Do you need the quality of a GH2? If not, the cheapest thing to do is use a webcam and your laptop. Your laptop might even have a webcam built in.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Bigger capacity card (64GB should be available for <$100), or more 16GB cards and an alarm clock. :) 

Do you have AC power for the camera? Or will the battery last 10 hours shooting video?

edit: I'd like to change my answer to what lenshoarder said.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    First off, I second (third?) what lenshoarder said.

However, if you want/need GH2 quality, then I hope you have an NTSC (i.e. US) GH2 as the PAL GH2 is limited to 29m 59s video length. Even with the NTSC GH2 I believe you'll run into the 4GB file size limit of FAT32, so it will not be recorded in a single file (if that is important to you).

Your hard limit will be determined by the size of the memory card. I'm not sure how much video a 128GB SDXC card can hold, but it might be as much as 12 hours at 1080p24.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of the webcams (esp logitech) come with motion detect activation so you could setup a web cam to trigger a bunch of stills or a vid to be started when motion is sensed.

7. Dennis_Kussener

Dennis_Kussener New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Belguim
    Den,nis
    I think the best way is to this is to buy a HDMI Express Video Capture Card, that you plug in in de express card slot on you laptop. you can find it for like 100$ on Ebay.
    the second thing you will need is an DC coupler, you can find after market one's for around 20$ on Ebay

8. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    As far as I know you will not have a recordable outlet for video on a GH camera. That goes back to the days of firewire and camcorders to be able to do that.

But as others have said, you will need to either have a US model or hack your PAL version to exceed the 30 minute limit. Then you are going to need an AC coupler, to replace the dismal GH2 battery. Lastly you need a 64GB SD card, which have dropped significantly in price. If you have a high bitrate hack in your camera, return it to the factory rates first. Once you assemble all of this I would give it a test run several days before you plan on needing this set up to make sure everything functions as planned.

Good luck with your project!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.