How to record video for hours at a time?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by theninjaseal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. theninjaseal

theninjaseal New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    I have a GH2, and I need to do some video recording for 9-10 hours unmonitored. It'll be indoors and I can hook it up to my laptop, but so far I haven't found a good way to do that. My largest SD card is a 16GB and that's only enough for 3 hours on the lowest bitrate (that I can find).

I can't stop and reset in the middle as it'll be overnight and I'll be asleep :)

I'd like something I can do without a lot of extra equipment, especially expensive equipment. However, I'm open to all ideas and if I need a $200 controller then so be it. I'm appreciative of whatever advise you guys can give

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Do you need the quality of a GH2? If not, the cheapest thing to do is use a webcam and your laptop. Your laptop might even have a webcam built in.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Bigger capacity card (64GB should be available for <$100), or more 16GB cards and an alarm clock. :)

Do you have AC power for the camera? Or will the battery last 10 hours shooting video?

edit: I'd like to change my answer to what lenshoarder said.
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    First off, I second (third?) what lenshoarder said.

However, if you want/need GH2 quality, then I hope you have an NTSC (i.e. US) GH2 as the PAL GH2 is limited to 29m 59s video length. Even with the NTSC GH2 I believe you'll run into the 4GB file size limit of FAT32, so it will not be recorded in a single file (if that is important to you).

Your hard limit will be determined by the size of the memory card. I'm not sure how much video a 128GB SDXC card can hold, but it might be as much as 12 hours at 1080p24.
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of the webcams (esp logitech) come with motion detect activation so you could setup a web cam to trigger a bunch of stills or a vid to be started when motion is sensed.
  7. Dennis_Kussener

Dennis_Kussener New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    I think the best way is to this is to buy a HDMI Express Video Capture Card, that you plug in in de express card slot on you laptop. you can find it for like 100$ on Ebay.
    the second thing you will need is an DC coupler, you can find after market one's for around 20$ on Ebay
  8. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    As far as I know you will not have a recordable outlet for video on a GH camera. That goes back to the days of firewire and camcorders to be able to do that.

But as others have said, you will need to either have a US model or hack your PAL version to exceed the 30 minute limit. Then you are going to need an AC coupler, to replace the dismal GH2 battery. Lastly you need a 64GB SD card, which have dropped significantly in price. If you have a high bitrate hack in your camera, return it to the factory rates first. Once you assemble all of this I would give it a test run several days before you plan on needing this set up to make sure everything functions as planned.

Good luck with your project!