1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to recognize the mount of old lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lukyvictor, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    As title said. I now own a Panasonic G2, and I would like to buy some old lens to use. However, I don't know what and how to recognize the mount of lens, therefore I don't know what adapter I should buy.

Thanks in advance

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Know mounts brands use

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This post has some links that include images of the various mounts under the "Evaluate the lens" header.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The most popular mounts for cheap, old, manual focus lenses are: Canon FD, Nikon F, Pentax K/A, Konica AR, Olympus OM, Minolta SR and M42 screw mount (early Pentax). If you see a MF lens from any of these manufacturers, that will generally tell you which mount it uses.

The difficulty comes when looking at non-OEM brand lenses (Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron, etc.) because these manufacturers produced lenses with multiple different mounts. Sometimes these lenses will have a code (e.g. "P/K" = Pentax K mount, "OM" = Olympus, "C/FD" = Canon, etc.) stamped on the lens near the mount. Other times, the only way you can tell is to compare the mount flange pattern to a known mount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Europe
    Hope this helps, I think someone linked this page once before on the forum :) 

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

• Like Like x 1
  6. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Wonderful guide, thank you very much for your help.

7. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    The is exactly what my concern is, because I recently found a Tamron lens, but I don't know what mount it is, therefore I don't know whether I am able to buy the appropriate adapter to use it.

8. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Very knowledgeable page, will spend some times to read it, thanks a lot!

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I understand your concern, but I can't name a lot of mounts for which adapters are NOT available. I would guess that 99% of the lenses you would find from any relatively high-volume non-OEM lens maker (Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Kiron, Komine, etc.) would be in a mount that you can adapt to :43:.

I've compiled a List of M4/3 Lens Adapters that illustrates the vast array of mounts that can be used with :43: bodies. In short, if you find a lens that looks good at a price you like, I would err on the side of buying it because it's very likely that you'll be able to use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.