How to recognize the mount of old lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lukyvictor, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    As title said. I now own a Panasonic G2, and I would like to buy some old lens to use. However, I don't know what and how to recognize the mount of lens, therefore I don't know what adapter I should buy.

Thanks in advance

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Know mounts brands use

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This post has some links that include images of the various mounts under the "Evaluate the lens" header.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The most popular mounts for cheap, old, manual focus lenses are: Canon FD, Nikon F, Pentax K/A, Konica AR, Olympus OM, Minolta SR and M42 screw mount (early Pentax). If you see a MF lens from any of these manufacturers, that will generally tell you which mount it uses.

The difficulty comes when looking at non-OEM brand lenses (Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron, etc.) because these manufacturers produced lenses with multiple different mounts. Sometimes these lenses will have a code (e.g. "P/K" = Pentax K mount, "OM" = Olympus, "C/FD" = Canon, etc.) stamped on the lens near the mount. Other times, the only way you can tell is to compare the mount flange pattern to a known mount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Europe
    Hope this helps, I think someone linked this page once before on the forum :)

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

• Like Like x 1
  6. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Wonderful guide, thank you very much for your help.

7. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    The is exactly what my concern is, because I recently found a Tamron lens, but I don't know what mount it is, therefore I don't know whether I am able to buy the appropriate adapter to use it.

8. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Very knowledgeable page, will spend some times to read it, thanks a lot!

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I understand your concern, but I can't name a lot of mounts for which adapters are NOT available. I would guess that 99% of the lenses you would find from any relatively high-volume non-OEM lens maker (Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Kiron, Komine, etc.) would be in a mount that you can adapt to :43:.

I've compiled a List of M4/3 Lens Adapters that illustrates the vast array of mounts that can be used with :43: bodies. In short, if you find a lens that looks good at a price you like, I would err on the side of buying it because it's very likely that you'll be able to use it.