1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to pre focus?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by chalky46, Jun 13, 2012.

1. chalky46

chalky46 New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi all my first post!
    I have a gx1 with 45-200 and 20mm prime.

Im off to silverstone the weekend for motogp(bike races). I have been told to pre focus to help get better shots of moving bikes on track.
    Can anyone be a bit more in detail with pre focusing please?

Thanks

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Turn your focus to manual, set your focus where the bikers will be coming by, then wait and anticipate the shot, releasing the shutter as they come into the focused plane.

If you want to use Autofocus, then you must get rid of that stupid default AFL mode which ties your autofocus in with the shutter release. Look up how to set "back button focus" on your GX1. I would give you the exact steps, but I'm an Olympus guy.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think the easiest method is to separate the focus function from the shutter release button.

Once that is done, pick a spot where you desire to shoot. Go stand in that spot. Now pick a spot on the track where you think the bikes will be traveling, the spot you think will make a captivating and exceptional image. Now focus on that spot and release the newly assigned focus button and don't touch the focus button. Wait for the bikes to hit that spot, frame and release the shutter.

Gary

4. chalky46

chalky46 New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2012
    Cheers ned thanks,
    Would you use one shot or high burst rate?

5. chalky46

chalky46 New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks Gary
    I think I may be able to do that with a bit of practice. Cheers