How to Post Images in Forum Threads

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    With the new site software (Xenforo), the old "How to Post Images in Forum Threads" no longer applies. This thread will explain the current situation.

If your image is hosted (uploaded) elsewhere on the web and you know the URL for the image (starts with "http" or "https" and ends with ".jpg"), simply click on the button while making a post, paste your image URL into the space provided, and click "Insert".

Another way to post images if you know the URL is to type IMG tags around your URL like this:

Code:
    [img]http://www.example.com/image.jpg[/img]
    If I know I am going to post 6 images in a thread, I type:

Code:
    [img][/img]
    and then copy/paste it 5 times to get:

Code:
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    ... and then paste my image URLs into the 6 locations.

Many image hosting services including Flickr will provide you with BBcode for posting your images on sites like this. For example Flickr BBcode looks like this:

Code:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/q9GiXs][ATTACH=full]408936[/ATTACH]DSC06530[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/99331762@N00/]Amin Sabet[/url], on Flickr
    That kind of BBcode can be copied and pasted in its entirety directly into your forum post where you want the image to appear without using the button and without using additional IMG tags.

If your image is on your computer/phone/other device, and you want to upload it directly to your post rather than hosting it somewhere else, then click on the button while making a post, and follow the prompts. Images greater than 1300px in maximum dimension will be automatically resized using high quality resizing, so feel free to upload images of any size.

Another option is to upload to our Gallery (instructions to be added at a later time).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    So, we still should not use the "iframe" code snippet that Flickr generates?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @omek@omek - probably not, but you can embed the entire image and it will resize to the display as needed with the original available at a click.

4. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    How do you post a pic from the iPhoneFlickr app to the mobile Mu-43 site? The Flickr app only allows me to copy the URL which does not end with jpeg.

Nothing I try seems to work.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know how to do it directly, but you can download the pic to your phone and then directly upload it to the post using our Upload a Photo button. However that method won't link back to your Flickr. Maybe someone knows another way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks,

I can always practice patience and wait to upload from home.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet, the image upload button says PNG files are accepted, but when I upload one, it says
    The following error occurred:
    The contents of the uploaded image do not match the file's extension

I'm on my Android phone, and after cropping a picture it is saved as PNG.

Thanks,
    Barry

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Not sure why that is happening. I upload PNG files pretty often and have not encountered that error.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    hmm... I was able to upload a screenshot from android which was a PNG.

Apparently there's a bug in android where it's saving cropped images with a .png extension but they're actually JPEGs. Even the file info in Android said it was PNG, but it isn't.

Thanks!
    Barry

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I just posted a for-sale that included a bunch of photos that were just copied and pasted from the clipboard. This has worked fine for me in the past in other posts but for some reason the photos in the for-sale advert are not displaying. I went into "Edit" but there I see that the photos appear to have been uploaded ("<square bracket>ATTACH=full<square bracket>113745<square bracket>/ATTACH<square bracket>") so I don't know what I should do to fix it. Suggestions?

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, there may be a limit to how many images you can paste into a post (versus uploading them).

I would edit the post, delete the broken images, and use 'Upload a photo' to add new ones.

Barry

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks. I'm hoping Amin can jump in here with the Definitive Word. There is a ten-photo limit that I bumped into but I am at nine photos right now.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @oldracer@oldracer - I've not been able to figure this one out. Don't know why it happens.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, then, I guess I'm not a complete idiot. Any suggestions for a workaround? I am advertising two bodies, I guess I could just run two adverts.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Can you put some of the images in a reply to the thread?

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. Done. Thank you.

Oddly, the photos are all looking good in the second post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. bremner

bremner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Is it OK to upload the same picture to multiple threads? Is there some way to link internally to avoid wasting space?

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if you upload and post, then edit the post, you can copy the image tag and paste it into another thread.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    For some reason I cannot upload a photo to the site. I get the below error;
    The Following Error Occured
    There was a problem uploading your file
    file name

I have tried a few times now and always get the same message.
    The PC I use for web browsing is an old XP SP3 machine, I presume that would not be the problem using firefox v38.0.1

Regards

• Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Please uncheck the option to use the flash based uploader and let me know if that fixes it: https://www.mu-43.com/account/preferences