How to photograph the earth...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Apr 22, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure when this is going to come up for me, but in this video from Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield aboard the International Space Station I learned that one should shoot in manual mode and use the "sunny 16 rule" to get good exposures of the earth from space.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yFp9pndbSKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sunny 16 should work, unless it's an overcast day.

-G-

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    At what aperture is diffraction a problem on m4/3 cameras? BTW, useful info which I'm not likely to apply. My favorite kind!:wink:

4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Very funny, guys. The vantage point from which to shoot should be where one would place the fulcrum of a lever that can move the world.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Step 1 - get thee into low earth orbit (or more).

6. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Hogwash. Everyone knows there is no oxygen in space, so there is no way for the photonic waves to propagate. If you were standing on the moon, the Earth would be black, as would everything else. The Apollo photos are clearly fake.

:eek:

/sarcasm

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Clearly you're correct. There's no arguing with science like that.

Getting totally off-topic, but this post makes me wonder how "truths" like this got propagated before we had the internet and the democratization of the media. It seems like this kind of "knowledge" that runs counter to what "the man" wants you to believe must have been extremely difficult to spread. I guess there was always word of mouth, books and AM talk radio (e.g. Art Bell), but it seems like it it must have been very difficult to do.

8. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    I dunno, I grew up before the internet, and there was a lot of hogwash/pseudo-knowledge masquerading as wisdom back then too. The difference I think today is, if you WANT to rid yourself of stupid, you have more avenues to do so. You just have more morons to bump into along the way:(

Light doesn't need a medium, of course:) Now if you removed all the water (ie a medium for propagating waves) from the oceans, would we still be able to see the fish? That, I'm not so sure about...

Anyways, back on topic, sorry!

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Step 2: ....

Step 3: Sell photos of earth for PROFIT!