How to overcome GAS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chrisnmn, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
  2. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    good article, but I've realized that GAS will always be there. I have a spreadsheet that I keep whenever I get/sell shows how long I've kept gear and what I replace it with. It's color-coded. It used to be just one page. Now, it's around 6 pages wide.

I've slowly whittled away my collection. For my 4/3 kit, I'm down to one camera, one lens (Olympus E-1 with ZD 35/3.5 macro) and for my m4/3 kit, I'm down to an EPM1 with Panny 14/2.5 and Sigma 30/2.8. My wife won't let me touch her Olympus E-410 with ZD 14-54.

This works for now, but I seek opportunity. If I see an Oly E-5 or OM-D for sale for $500, I'm all over it. If I see a GX-1 for sale for $200, I'd be all over it.

It sucks because new gear doesn't make my pictures better. I know that for a fact. New gear, however, makes me want to take pictures.

I used to maintain a Project52 (one picture a week), but due to time constraints, I failed at it this year. That used to be my muse...but when I got my EPM1 recently, I was taking pictures every week. When I got the 14/2.5 to go with the EPM1, I started taking pictures again every day.
  3. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    There is no cure.
    GAS can only be partially managed through heavy sedation, periodic interventions, and a 12-step recovery program.
    I just ordered a new lens so I am back to step 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    "#3 -- Don't hang out with Gear Heads"

ummm, errr...

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I usually just stick with Pepto Bismol.

But if leaving the forum works for ya, I guess I can't stop you! o_O