1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to overcome fears using Micro 4/3rds in a professional environment.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gsciorio, Apr 24, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks you two. I'm on a mission. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We are with u my friend .
    I am planning a controversial photoshoot by this year end of beginning of next year and I will use all MFT equipment . People need to know about this wonderful format .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Very happy this format works for you, but for me, there are too many risks shooting with M4/3 on a normal job. I agree most clients do not care what camera you shoot with but depending on the client file size does matter, secondly I do not trust their ruggedness in the long run, and lastly the range of optics is still not there.
    We all shoot different stuff we all choose different tools, at the end of the day it is whatever works for you, is the best choice

• Like Like x 2
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This article is good advice not just for photography, but for business in general:
    1. It's the output that matters, not the tools/process.
    2. Open, honest communication is crucial.
    Great job!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you're shooting fast action, M43 does most of what you need. I'd still use M43 as a backup to my Nikon DSLRs though for work intensive shooting. If I was doing mainly travel, candid style shooting I could use M43 as a primary setup since M43 covers a good range of primes and wide angle lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    But it seems like you're not missing them? I always figured once a person got used to the flexibility of fast zooms, going back to primes would be rather unappealing.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Just carry a couple of those coffee cups that look like a lens. They're lightweight, come in the major brands and you can place them strategically around the shoot to impress. Works every time!

• Like Like x 3
  11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great writeup, Giulio. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Omfg. You crack me up! I popped up your blog post, and saw that first pic and died. Had to comeback and post about it. Lol!

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Kudos! Our own Pro...with bling!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    Well written and inspiring – also for an amateur.

Sf

• Like Like x 1
  15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Will sex, drug, and rock'n'roll (and animals) be involved in this controversial photoshoot? :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hi Bob, thanks for checking out the post and your feedback. I think for a while at least pros like me that shoot M4/3 are going to be few. You got a large and varied body of work so I totally understand why you need different systems to be utilized on different jobs.

One area I would not use the OMD for on a job when I know there is going to be heavy retouching. Those jobs simply need a very high res file to be handed off to the retoucher. Although I can't say how reliable the OMD is just yet it does feel solid like a small Nikon F4 which I loved. If you are a part of the Olympus Pro Group they give great support quickly.

I think though that we'll be seeing more pros like you start to use M43 cameras even if its just for their fun camera. It's a great first step for those that are not willing to take the risks I took switching. Like I said in the article it was scary. I mean if I didn't handle the transition right I could really hurt my income and that would not have been worth it at all.

But I am a risk taker and this year I decided to focus on creative risks so I eased into the system over the course of this year. My other creative risk is my blog. I'm sharing everything I do as a professional. See I feel that there are many people that want to know what its like as a professional at my level as opposed to someone like Chase Jarvis who's at such a high level he's more of a brand. I do pretty much everything on my own for most jobs but I do work with a team depending on the job.

Most of my colleagues that have small cameras in addition to their main cameras have a M43 camera except for one that is sponsored by Sony. Sometimes I see them using their small cameras on jobs along side their big ones and every time they tell me how impressed they are with the quality.

You got a great body of work and what looks like many years experience. Thanks again for posting. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thank you I really appreciate it! It's the amateurs that inspire me most and I'm hoping to see more amateurs interact on the blog. I try to keep the amateur sprit of discovery, experimentation and passion alive in my business. So often when you make art a business the art becomes tainted and its all about money. When I talk with amateurs who shoot only because they love the image making process it takes me back to why I started shooting in the first place. :thumbup:

On of my goals is demystify how pros work. There's still lots of smoke and mirrors and a lot of product pushing. Unlike other blogs where the blogger is trying to sell you something you don't need I'm not. I want to inspire others to take the best photos of their lives. Don't get my wrong I do want to eventually make money with the blog so I can pay people to help out and grow it right but I do shoot for a living and will continue to do so.

If I talk about something its because I use it and you'll be surprised how much non-camera gear you need to make the shot. Maybe I'll go through my grip case and light kit in a future post.

Thanks for check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Loved the article and the photo is brilliant. Very glad to have you join the mu4/3 community! I look forward to your future contributions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great stuff, Giulio. One of my bottom line takeaways is that the power of the image is what matters, and for some professional jobs (specially delivered via web), the technical advantages offered by larger sensor equipment is secondary.

It would be interesting to do a poll of pro photographers using :43: or smaller mirrorless cameras in general. I know Kirk Tcuk (Visual Science Lab website) has been a big proponent for a while as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I know most of my friends that shoot pro have a mirrorless camera with them that they use in addition to their other gear. Some big name fashion shooters use them a lot but fashion is one area where they could care less about pixels and noise and more about style and emotion.

I've not seen Kirks site in a while. Thanks for mentioning him.