How to operate a camera when's cold outside

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For example: it's freezing outside, the wind is blowing, you want to take pictures outside. If you're wearing gloves it may be hard to operate the buttons and/or touchscreen.
How do you manage this?

joanne

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Herman when I'm out at night I have a pair of fingerless gloves that have a 'hood' that goes over my fingers ( and makes them like mittens ) and pull back so my fingers are free. It doesn't stop my finger tips getting really cold but most of my hands stay warm. If its really cold hand warmers ( a plastic pouch with stuff in that you shake to activate and get warm ) are great and a flask of hot chocolate usually works a treat :)

Vivalo

Olympus loser
Here is my weapon of choice: RapalaWorld.com

Three of the fingertips fold open for better button/touchscreen handling. I still prefer usually just thin gloves under bigger and warmer gloves and when I need to shoot I just take the bigger ones off.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
I wear fingerless gloves with a hood. My fingers tip still get cold so I have a very thin set of gloves wear under my mittens and those gloves have a hole in my pointer finger, just the tip mind you.

All that being said I see they are now selling gloves to work with touch screens. I am not endorsing them as I have never used them

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
In the Arctic, I used silk glove liners (thin gloves) with rubbery gripping dots on the palms and fingers. I also had pockets sew into the armpits of my thermos for extra batteries. When the battery gets cold it loses power real quick. So a quick change and Viola! ... back to working. After the cold dead battery warms up the power also increases.

Gary

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
In the Arctic, I used silk glove liners (thin gloves) with rubbery gripping dots on the palms and fingers. I also had pockets sew into the armpits of my thermos for extra batteries. When the battery gets cold it loses power real quick. So a quick change and Viola! ... back to working. After the cold dead battery warms up the power also increases.

Gary

You live near big box outfit, and can stand going inside, places like that usually have mittens with half fingers inside, and the mitten part can be flipped back for digits...Velcro holders...cheap.

I picked up on this to see if people had special means to combat moisture etc, when working in cold weather and so on. I worry about moisture condensing in warm areas and cover the camera tightly if cold and do not remove it from wrap until at room temp. PIA, so was looking for another way.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
You live near big box outfit, and can stand going inside, places like that usually have mittens with half fingers inside, and the mitten part can be flipped back for digits...Velcro holders...cheap.

I picked up on this to see if people had special means to combat moisture etc, when working in cold weather and so on. I worry about moisture condensing in warm areas and cover the camera tightly if cold and do not remove it from wrap until at room temp. PIA, so was looking for another way.

Oh yeah ... I forgot about that ... Zip lock bags work ... the good kind with the sliders (easier to manipulate), or any plastic bag and tie off the opening. Living in SoCal one tends to forget the cold weather training. If you're also taking older film cameras and lenses, have a tech remove all the liquid lubricants (grease) and replace with solid lubricants (graphite).

G

Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom