1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to obtain a Jupiter 37a for Micro Four thirds cameras.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 30, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have been reasearching other lens options and i found the Jupiter 37a to be a good lens for me. I want something that will allow the photo to come to me so i can shoot birds. Will the lens do the job. I was wondering how I can obtain it cheaply in Canada. What kind of stores sell them. I was considering ebay buy shipping is to much for how much money i have. So what stores can sell these in
    good condition that work?

2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Sorry if I'm not replying your question, but don't you think the 37A a little too short for birding? I believe a 300mm would be more suitable for this kind of photography. BTW, I have a 37A and it's a wonderful lens, but I use it very seldom, since it's too long for portrait, but too short for nature, IMHO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Okay

It is okay. Is there any other lenses you can recommend that are similar but faster than the Panasonic 45-200 MM lens. It is a bit much for the moment but if there is something similar that would be great. I looking for an aperture under F4

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure a 135mm lens is really long enough for serious birding, but you can certainly give it a shot.

As far as an adapter, any M42-to-:43: adapter should do. I don't think there are many local camera shops who carry these things, but they're widely available online. eBay is generally the cheapest option, but you could also search Amazon (or Google).

I don't know what your budget is, but Amazon.ca has this Fotodiox adapter which you should be able to get for less than $30 (including shipping and tax).

Edit: sorry, I didn't read your post very closely before replying. I thought you already HAD the Jupiter and were looking for adapter recommendations.

If I were looking for a long lens for birding (on a tight budget), I'd start with something like a Tokina 100-300mm AT-X f/4 zoom. This lens is available in either a Nikon or Canon mount and you should be able to pick one up for US$100 or less.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    KEH has a few Tokina 100-300 mentioned above for less than $100-, Nikon 300/4's can also be found in the same price range. 135mm is definitely too short for birding, I use the Panny 100-300, and in video mode, I'll turn on ETC, which gives a 2.6x - 4x boost.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    If you are going to go with a 135mm/f3.5, the old OM zuiko with those specifications is can be got dirt cheap, and it's sharp as a tack. Even though it's equivalent to 270mm on the m4/3 bodies (in 35 ff terms), I agree it still comes up a bit short for birding.

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thank you. I just have one question. What is ETC? is it only available on Panasonic bodies or will my camera have it?

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    ETC=Extra Tele Conversion. It's basically a digital zoom, which AFAIK is only a Panasonic feature.

It's particularly useful for video as it maintains the full resolution while using only the center of the sensor. For still shots, its no different than cropping in post.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App

9. sLorenzi

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    IMO, it's not digital zoom, because it does not interpolate the image, like the digital zoom does. There is no image quality loss, but the final image will have less mp. It's very useful and I use a lot with my 45-200, when I'm birding.

A sample:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/slorenzi/6532611839/" title="Pteroglossus castanotis por sLorenzi, no Flickr"> 6532611839_905064d43e_z. "640" height="480" alt="Pteroglossus castanotis"></a>

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess to me the term "digital zoom" is synonymous with "in-camera cropping" which is what ETC provides. I agree there is no interpolation (I never meant to imply there was), and I understand the utility of this feature for video (which only uses roughly 2MP), but for still images couldn't you achieve the exact same result by cropping in post?

11. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I just bought a Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6 AiS Constant, manual focus.. it is one of the best IQ lenses AT 300mm, and the Olympus 85-250 OM, or 50-250 OM is also a stellar performer at the longest end. Many of the newer AF 70-300 are crapping at the 300mm end. I am taking about 70/100 to 200mm has 1700-1900 LPPM, 200-300mm has typically 1100-1200 LPPM until f/11!! The Nikkor 100-300mm and Olympus 50/85 - 250mm stay above 1500 LPPM at the longest end wide open. and get better by f/11

Just a thought, since I JUST did the research on long tele zooms for Birding with a backyard hanging tree feeder for my self.

12. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Are you sure that it's 1200 Line Pairs per Millimeter? Pop Photo tests were usually done in percent contrast for 50LP/mm. That would be closer to 1200 line pairs per inch.

1200 Line Pairs per millimeter would require 2400 pixels per millimeter to resolve. An Olympus EP2 has 200 pixels per millimeter.

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Yes, in stills, that's the same thing as cropping. It's the main reason why I got the GH2, for the ETC mode in video.

Digital zooming is often making up pixels that weren't there to begin with, the 10x tele-crop/zoom on my T3i is exactly that, first they crop down to VGA res, then uprez the image back to 1080p. In the 3x mode, there's only a bit of uprezing - Canon HD video in aps-c cameras isn't a full 1920x1080, it's more like 1600x900 uprez'd.

14. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    It was a MTF50 chart on Photozone for the Nikkor 70-300mm AF (same as the Tokina Who makes it for Nikon)

All I know is, IT STUNK at 300mm until f/8, and with birding, or Zoo Animals, sometimes wide-open allows a lower ISO allows better feather detail and such, and better background separation.. so might as well get one that can be used wide-open at 300mm for those times you want both great IQ and background separation.

But, if f/8 or f/11 is comfortable... then a modern consumer 70-300mm lens will work at small f/stops openings...

15. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The units are "The chart shows in line widths per picture height (LW/PH) ". I suspect picture height is 1inch. Usually the measure of resolution is given as line pairs per millimeter. This is the only test I've seen that uses "Line Width Per picture height". Makes it hard to look at using a lens on mu43 or other camera that uses different "picture heights".

16. sLorenzi

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei

I don't agree with this part, because
    It's too much easier to autofocus with a bigger subject in the screen, and it gives me a much more acurate exposition, just by ignoring lots of unused space around the subject. Of course I'm talking about birding where the subject is tiny, in relation with the scenario.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not trying to say the feature is completely useless for taking still images and I can see how it could help in the ways you mentioned. I guess my point is that the OP shouldn't think he needs to run out and trade his Olympus in for a Panasonic just so that he can use ETC, particularly if he's shooting mostly stills.

• Like Like x 1
  18. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks for all the help. I now feel like i know what i want to do. I looked on ebay for legacy lenses and i have heard people getting them for under 50 dollars. All the ones i found are over 50 with shipping. Is there any stores that would sell these legacy lenses?

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Stores are usually more expensive, unless it's the discount bin. Fantastic bargains can be found.

Otherwise, check out the garage sales, estate sales etc. the bag of 'whatever' is your best chance at a bargain... or crap :)