How to mimic Google's enhance photo

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by walter_j, May 4, 2015.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I post to Google Plus forums, and at times (ok maybe lots of times) my photos are improved by the enhance function. Is there a way to mimic that function in LR? Or maybe PS? I'm reluctant to use PS, since the learning curve is so steep. I know it's tricky, since no matter what you post, G+ can apply the enhance function if you want.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not familiar with this G+ feature. Can you post a before-and-after that demonstrates the effect?

3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    before and after

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess it really depends on whether G+ is just applying a similar set of adjustments to each image or whether there is some logic that analyzes the image and adjusts it accordingly.

To find out you could try to create a preset in Lightroom that would achieve similar results. Simply import the original, manipulate it until it looks similar to the G+ "after" then save those settings as a preset. Test it by applying it to another image and tweak as necessary. I think you would eventually land on a "recipe" that provides similar results.

5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    perhaps my LR skills aren't up to snuff, but I tried to mimic it a few times without great success. I was hoping someone knew what Google does in auto enhance. I believe google got the function from snapseed, which they purchased.

6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Have you tried irfanview's "auto adjust colours"? I sometimes just bung an image through there when I get fatigued doing things "properly" in lightroom and most of the time it does a pretty good job. Occasionally freaks out and kind of gives up on an image but for the most part it's a decent one-click enhancer that doesn't make an image look like it's been "worked".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Looks like raised shadows and clarity

• Agree Agree x 1