1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to make IBIS more effective

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MAubrey, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    There's a simple way to make your IBIS more effective. Turn on Anti-shock at 1/8 a second permanently, or at least with long lenses or at night. You sacrifice a slight bit of response time, but gain a stop or two more in hand holdable shooting. Before I tried this, my own experience was that I could hand hold a fl/4 (=focal length divided by 4), so the 75mm at 1/20 or the 17.5mm at 1/4. But after turning on Anti-shock, I'm hand holding the 17.5mm at 1", which for a still subject at f/.95 means I'm basically shooting in the dark, even at ISO400, like this compositionally useless image here:

_A060061.

Or this shot with a Canon FD 135mm at 1/10:
    _A020027.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Interesting; I'll have to try this when I'm handholding the 500mm with my E-M5. I've gotten very good shots at 1/250, although, I'm usually shooting flying birds with long reach lenses, so I'm already at 1/500 or 1/1000.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting. I'll have to try this. Thanks! :cool:

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I knew the 1/8 antishock was important for the PM1 and PM2 camera's when IBIS was on. I really thought the M5 had this licked with their uber 5D IBIS. Presumably this would be the same on the P5.

5. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    When should you have IBIS disabled?

6. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I turn IS off when using a tripod.

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I have IBIS off 99% of the time. I like having the shutter speed up there. I'd rather push the iso than beginning to rely on IBIS. But it would depend on what you shoot.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Could you explain more what you mean by the f/ .95 and fl/4? I don't understand.

Also, I can hand hold the 14, 17, or 20 at 1/4" no problem. But I have 50mm lenses that I need AT LEAST 1/100 to get a sharp shot. Why I'm I having trouble at longer FLs? To me it seems like IBIS does nothing (and yes, I set it to the right FL with my adapted lenses.

EDIT: I just turned on the anti-shock and with my Sigma 30 lens and PM2 it did absolutely nothing. Even if I set it for 4 seconds the shutter fired automatically. What am I doing wrong?

9. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    there is simply no reason to have IBIS on when shooting non telephoto lenses in good light. there are enough anecdotal stories about compromised IQ at certain shutter speeds to warrant turning it off in situations where you receive absolutely no benefit from it.

when you need it, with telephoto or low light, i always have antishock 1/8 on.

10. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I assign the Record button to toggle manual focus. I wish the OM-D series had a button to toggle IBIS as well.

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Maybe, though I've done tests and see no difference on or off. The problem I'd have is that I'd forget to turn it on when I need it!

Actually, this thread gives me an opportunity to rant a little bit about Olympus . . . the best way to improve IBIS is to employ an electronic first-curtain shutter like Sony and Panny do in their most recent cameras. This would pretty much eliminate the need for the antishock setting.

12. Unfortunately I couldn't find any improvement when I did a quick informal test using anti-shock of 0, 1/8, & 1/4 second, but my sample size was small so I wouldn't discourage anyone else from trying it for themselves. In fact the trend I noticed was that I was more likely to get a sharp image with no anti-shock delay. My test involved shooting the PL 25mm at 1/2 second which is pushing my limit to get a sharp image more than 50% of the time. I wonder if the additional shutter delay time goes beyong my ability to hold the camera steady after releasing the shutter, and perhaps this technique might work for me using longer focal length lenses for shutter speeds less than 1/2 second (the 45mm @ 1/4 second, for example).

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Ok, how do you do that? :confused:

14. Rfinley33

Rfinley33 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Anti-shock

I tried it and go a better picture with oly 1.8 45mm at 1/4 of second. Thanks

15. I think it was the last item under the Gears E menu.

• Like Like x 1